Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 7 years ago

What language should I teach my child?

My husband and I speak plenty of languages. I speak (fluently) German, Spanish, Italian, and Gaelic. My husband speaks (fluently) German, Spanish, Gaelic, French, and Russian

We have narrowed it down to the languages we both speak, German, Spanish, and Gaelic. We were thinking Gaelic, because we have family in Ireland, but we live in the states now and it isn't really needed to get around either country. We were also thinking Spanish because it is used to often and what have you, but we have been researching and most schools offer it now, and it is a pretty easy language to learn at an older age, so we thought maybe not. Which brings us to German. We love going to Germany and Austria, but we probably won't as much once we have our baby. So, what do you think? Thanks!

Sorry, I meant what second language. Of course they will learn English. We are going to begin speaking to them in two languages. English and another.

• Jim
    Favorite Answer

You didn't say what were the native languages. Fluency can be taught, but a native or mother language is absorbed from birth.

My native language is English, but I am fluent in Russian and German.

I think it is important for you and your husband to speak with your child in your native language, particularly if you and your husband have different ones. It would also be important to have them learn other languages from native speakers. Other-language children in play groups will be fine.

I have a good friend who is completely fluent in Lithuanian, German, Russian and English. He has a doctoral degree from an American university, but he speaks with an accent in every language that he speaks. Although he spoke Lithuanian from birth, he left early and he has lost the native ability in it.

He teaches in the Lithuanian Military Academy, primarily to foreign students in English.

Source(s): Experience in learning languages from native speakers and from those who aren't.
  • Fungus

Gaelic.

The child has very few chances to learn it unless his parents teach it to him, that's not true for the rest of languages you already know, since it's relatively easy to learn them everywhere. On the contrary, Gaelic is endangered and only spoken by a few in a tiny region.

teach them spanish and english first them teach gaelic and german second a fun way to teach this would be to set up a tea party but they have to order and talk in the languge you pick!

you can start teaching them spanish because after english is the most common language in the world (okay we know is chinese but i'm talking about job, holidays, or web language).. so it would be useful, plus it sound great *-*

while they grow up they can learn other languages, i think is such a privilege to have parents who speak so much languages!

teach them a little bit of italian, i'm from italy so it would be nice to me.. <3

Spanish and German, jobs can be stolen from competition if you know these (depending on location). Obviously English too.

Source(s): common sense

Surely English first if you live in the states

I'd say that if your child is younger, teach them the harder languages so they get used to it and then teach them simpler ones as they grow.

Source(s): My mum taught me Cantonese first then English, etc.

english

¡Soy de Irlanda también! Creo que tu niño necesite hablar español porque es lo mejor idioma en el mundo. En mi opinión se debería aprender español si vives en los Estados Unidos porque muchas personas que viven allí hablar inglés y español también. Muchos de institutos enseñáis español mal porque los alumnos se portan mal. Puedo hablar español con fluidez y sólo estudio español desde hace 3 años. P.D. Sólo tengo catorce años

Source(s): Estudio español en irlanda