Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How"s life in Jerusalem?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • anvil
    Lv 5
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Jerusalem for the first time in thousands of years of history is once again the capital of Israel.

Today it is Israel's largest city,with enormous development to provide housing, schools,hospitals,factories and research and development organizations.It has one of the leading universities in the world -The Hebrew University.It has one of the top Museums where the Dead Sea Scrolls,the oldest Bible is housed in the Shrine of the Book.The Parliament of Israel, the Knesset,lies on one hill nearby.

The jewel is the Old City of Jerusalem.With a wall built of Stone that glows golden in the Morning Rays of the sun and a walk around the ramparts of this 500 year old wall,beautifully repaired,with views around the city.

The Jewish quarter has been rebuilt after the Arabs/Jordanians looted,pillaged and than burnt and dynamited every home and synagogue.

Burnt House is a ruin of a priests home , several stories below the city,destroyed by Roman soldiers 2000 years ago.

There are tunnels leading from the Western Wall(kotel)to the Via Dolorosa in the Christian quarter. The Kotel has services and people in personal prayer any time of the day or night. If you are lucky enough to visit over the intermediate days of the festivals,you will be blessed on the microphones by a few hundred Priests,or get a full blast of rams horns(Shofars)Reform American Women get togged out in pink or cerise Prayer Shawls(Tallis'es),throw on the men's T'fillin and sing as loudly as they can, to make the sure males at prayer notice them.

The Church of the Holy Sepulchure is one of Christianity's great Churches.

The garden of the tomb is the preferred site for Protestants.

Now and again you might be lucky enough to see a disagreement in one of these religious site.Passions can be hectic as on Yahoo /Answers.

The city is dream for people who want to get lost in Arab hooka bars,or spend all their time in either the Arabmarket in the old city or main Market just off Jaffa street.Young people hang around the walking streets in the centre of town day or night and make music and eat a shwarma.

The night life is not as hectic as Tel Aviv but is more cultural and intimate in a non- sexual way,of course.

The parks ,walks,forests,hiking and bike trails are all an unexpected bonus for a capital city.

The climate is much less humid than Tel Aviv,but if you prefer stripping down on the beaches of Tel Aviv ,it is a short hour's trip away by modern train or if you want a short but exciting life, go by dare -devil sherut.

It is the most surprising and unexpected place .Enjoy it.

• 8 years ago

I lived for about half a year in Nachlaot, Jerusalem.

Instead of going to Stop&Shop, I bought my fruits and veges at the open market (shuk). The neighborhood was full of musicians and I could hear them play their instruments as I walked down the street. Every single morning, some guy dressed like Jesus visited the cafe where I drank my chai. Who was that person??! There's always a hidden shop or bar that you wouldn't have noticed if a local had not pointed it out to you. Also, I remember that some British Yeshiva boy dubbed the area with all the hookah bars as "Crack Square." Imagine hookah bar after hookah bar after hookah bar - and they only serve apple shisha.

Oh - and it's a religious city. Everything closes early on Friday for Shabbat. Try the Armenian Quarter of the Old City if you find yourself dying for pork.

• 8 years ago

It's like any other third world city, such as Mexico City and Mumbai.

Jerusalem is a very dangerous city because it is the capital of Israel, and Israel is a war-zone, and it also happens to be a "holy city" it is home to the Big 3 Abrahamic religions.

The Western part of Jerusalem is Jewish and the eastern part is Muslim and Christian.

If you're really religious and conservative then it might be a good city for you.

For more info about Jerusalem, here's an article by an Irishman:

http://naughtynomad.com/2012/02/17/snapshot-jerusa...

• 8 years ago

Pretty nice, actually. You will see one of the most truly cosmopolitan cities. And the light rail is a wonderful addition.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Well you have an apartheid wall on your left and IDF soldiers torturing Palestinian families and on your right you have illegal settlements being built on others land.

So yeah it sounds great

• 8 years ago

My friend, Japanese, went to Israel with her Israeli boyfriend. Hope she will return safe.

• 8 years ago

Good and interesting.

You'll see many cultures and cultural things you won't see anywhere else.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.