Unemployment question?

I live and work in NJ. My boss told me today, he may have to put us parttime. For unemployment, is it better to collect part time pay or collect full unemployment? I have every intention on enjoying my summer. For the first time I will collect in 14 years.

I am working full time. I will not quit my job. But i dont want to work part time and receive unemployment part time. What happens when I lose my job in all? Will I still b eligible for unemployment. So many questions. Lol

• ?
    Favorite Answer

It depends on which state. Florida has the lowest unemployment benefits in the country at only $275 per week. Some states are $400 or more.

Find out what the benefits amount is for your state, and if they are more than what your part time job pays you can file. The Unemployment office (DEO) will give you the difference between what you make and what you would get in benefits. So if you only make $300 part time and UE pays $400 per week, you will be eligible for $100 per week from DOE. Of course you have to report your earnings every week and fulfil any other requirements to remain eligible (which usually consists of applying for full time work).

But if your part time job pays more than unemployment, I would definitely keep the job.

• Judy

If you're laid off totally, you'd likely get unemployment. If your hours are cut, you might be eligible for partial unemployment, depending on how much they're cut.

Unemployment's purpose is not to just let you enjoy your summer though.

• Ryan M

You won't be collecting "full unemployment" if you quit because of the reduction in hours. Hope you know that.

• tro

since your employer has cut your hours, this means you are entitle to 'partial' unemployment

you would not be eligible for any unemployment if you quit

You don't get to choose which you collect. If they reduce you to part time, you are eligible for PT UE. If you leave your job, you don't get any UE.

You can apply for underemployment but it is not a guarantee.