Recipes to feed the fam on such a tight budget?

So, while at college I learned to eat very vegan mostly because of the health benefits (and for a little animal love). But I also was able to spend a LOT less because I was buying more local produce and eating mostly veggies etc etc.

So, when I came home for the summer, my family (me, mom, step dad, two younger cousins 5 and 7) is going through some SERIOUS financial stress. Using my shopping and cooking habits from college, I was able to cut the grocery bill by 50 bucks! But I want to be sure everyone gets plenty of nutrients and variety. I am still kind of new with the concept of where to get vitamins from. (Example: I have an iron deficiency and I replaced meat with TONS of spinach and it works)

Recipe example: I replaced oatmeal with different kinds of rice mixed with berries and I make lots of veggie gumbos (they are filling and feed for days)

Wow I typed too much. Long story short. Recipes please? They don't HAVE to be vegan or vegetarian. It's just that veggies last longer in our house

Favorite Answer

First of all, oatmeal is WAY better for you than rice, so please do not replace. Oats are dirt cheap so I don't even know why you would do that and oats have more nutrients than rice, more protein and fiber. Cheap nutritious meals (I'm a poor vegetarian bodybuilder, so I know).

Option 1-

Beans and rice

green beans

H20- always free!! Use Brita

Option 2-

Spaghetti with black bean sauce

side salad

H20

Option 3-

Oats mixed with berries and nuts

banana

H20

Option 4-

Bean burritos

baked tortilla with salsa

H20

Option 5-

Pasta and peas

potato salad with scallions

H20

Option 6-

Veggie fried rice

spring rolls

H20

Option 7-

Baked spaghetti

caesar salad

H20

Source(s): me