Recipes to feed the fam on such a tight budget?

So, while at college I learned to eat very vegan mostly because of the health benefits (and for a little animal love). But I also was able to spend a LOT less because I was buying more local produce and eating mostly veggies etc etc.

So, when I came home for the summer, my family (me, mom, step dad, two younger cousins 5 and 7) is going through some SERIOUS financial stress. Using my shopping and cooking habits from college, I was able to cut the grocery bill by 50 bucks! But I want to be sure everyone gets plenty of nutrients and variety. I am still kind of new with the concept of where to get vitamins from. (Example: I have an iron deficiency and I replaced meat with TONS of spinach and it works)

Recipe example: I replaced oatmeal with different kinds of rice mixed with berries and I make lots of veggie gumbos (they are filling and feed for days)

Wow I typed too much. Long story short. Recipes please? They don't HAVE to be vegan or vegetarian. It's just that veggies last longer in our house

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

First of all, oatmeal is WAY better for you than rice, so please do not replace. Oats are dirt cheap so I don't even know why you would do that and oats have more nutrients than rice, more protein and fiber. Cheap nutritious meals (I'm a poor vegetarian bodybuilder, so I know).

Option 1-

Beans and rice

green beans

H20- always free!! Use Brita

Option 2-

Spaghetti with black bean sauce

side salad

H20

Option 3-

Oats mixed with berries and nuts

banana

H20

Option 4-

Bean burritos

baked tortilla with salsa

H20

Option 5-

Pasta and peas

potato salad with scallions

H20

Option 6-

Veggie fried rice

spring rolls

H20

Option 7-

Baked spaghetti

caesar salad

H20

Source(s): me
    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.