Possession of Marijuana Citation? 18 Years Old?

Hey, I just got a citation for possession of marijuana. I was just sitting in my car in a parking lot of my neighborhood and a cop comes up to my window and asks me to roll it down. I refused consent to search but she said she already smelled the bud and asked me to step out of the car. She continued to search my... show more Hey, I just got a citation for possession of marijuana. I was just sitting in my car in a parking lot of my neighborhood and a cop comes up to my window and asks me to roll it down. I refused consent to search but she said she already smelled the bud and asked me to step out of the car. She continued to search my car and found the marijuana. She told me to get back in my car and handed me a citation for possession of marijuana. I have gotten a citation for possession of paraphernalia when I was 17 but I got that taken care of and wiped off my record. I am currently 18 and live with my parents. Will I have to hire a lawyer and such or can I pay for an attorney to represent me? I'm not too familiar with court systems and would like to know the best possible option for me. I am about to be a freshman in college and do not need this to start off with. Also, I am willing to pay for the fine and the lawyer all by myself with the job I have right now. Is there anyway I can do this without my parents finding out if I'm willing to take care of it on my own?
2 answers 2