YankeeH8R asked in SportsBaseball · 7 years ago

What is the oldest baseball team?

It can be any team not necessarily MLB, though I doubt it. I've seen this question asked many times but never a clear winner just debate. I think it might be the St Louis Cardinals, but my baseball history is not that great. Thanks

Favorite Answer

Grown is correct with the two oldest teams, but technically they are even OLDER than that:

The organization that became the Chicago Cubs began playing in the National Association of Base Ball Players in 1870, then became a founding member of the National Association of 'Professional' Base Ball Players (NAPBBP) in 1871, before becoming a founding member of the National League in 1876.

The organization that became the Boston Braves, now the Atlanta Braves, began play for the NAPBBP in 1871. They are the oldest "continually" playing sports franchise in history, as the Chicago team didn't play in 1872 or 1873, as they were recovering from the Great Chicago Fire, which burnt down their stadium, among other things.

The 1871 Braves consisted of four key players, including the player/manager Harry Wright, from the defunct 1869/1870 Cincinnati Reds, a team which was founded in 1866. So..

The current Cincinnati Reds are NOT the same franchise as the original Red/Red Stockings. The current Cincinnati Reds were established in 1882.

The oldest continuously run franchises are the Atlanta Braves (Milwaukee Braves, Boston Braves, Boston Bees, Boston Rustlers, Boston Doves, Boston Beaneaters, and Boston Red Caps) and the Chicago Cubs (Chicago Orphans, Chicago Colts, and Chicago White Stockings) - both were established in 1876.

cinncinnati red stockings