Barb
Barb asked in SportsHorse Racing · 7 years ago

Paynter's Comeback Race?

If you were Paynter's owner and/or trainer would you have risked racing him again? In hindsight, he ran amazing. But, after suffering so much after his last few races, I'm just curious if people would have retired him as soon as he recovered?

Favorite Answer

Barb, this colt is a FIGHTER. He's already demonstrated that he's very special and has a lot of heart and courage. If he were a person, people would be calling him a hero for surviving so much and coming back to win again. As long as he's healthy and sound enough to run, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't race again. Simply retiring him to stud may not be the right answer. There are other horses that have overcome serious and even life threatening illnesses and have gone on to become champions in their sports. Paynter just happens to be one who is in racing, that's all. It's very, very rare that a horse recovers from colitis, however- and I'd be interested to know why it is that this colt managed that when so many other horses have DIED from the same disease. Colitis X is normally a disease that will kill a horse within hours or days of diagnosis, even with supportive care. How Paynter managed to fight it off and recover will always be something of a mystery, I think. But just because he had the disease ( and had a mild case of laminitis on top of it) is not a reason to deny him a chance at furthering his career and winnings following recovery.

I'm not going to question Bob Baffert's motivations with regard to this colt- it's pretty obvious what they are. He's a good trainer, and I am sure that he will not ask more of Paynter than the horse is able to give. After all, he knows as much as anyone about what happened, and has a vested interest in seeing that it doesn't happen again.

Source(s): I'm a horse owner and professional, and a long time follower of all horse sports. I've been following Paynter's story for quite a while now, and it's wonderful to see him back on the track in winning form again.

I'm not sure if I could answer that without experiencing what Paynter and his connection went through. However, I'm confident that Paynter was and is up and ready, fully recovered. Bottom line, a picture of soundness (no lameness or illness). It says a lot about his strength, and his connection to do all they could. It's amazing really, Paynter returned from a near-death experience last year to demolished an allowance field this past Fri. (June 14) at Hollywood Park in his first start since winning last July's Haskell Invitational. He won by 5 lengths. Welcome Back Paynter!!!

Paynter was one of the lucky ones, because many racehorses that started at the track so early have very short racing careers. Since injuries are common with young horses at the racetrack, the results can be devastating, or they are forced to retire, or if lucky enough they can entertain in another type of career or race again. As we know, it's all about turnover in horse racing. Thoroughbred horses often begin their racing careers very early. Many are seasoned before they turn two or three. And, the fact is these young racehorses' bones are not yet fully formed, and they haven't finished growing, but still they are extremely fast and very energetic and willing to give their all.

Thx for posting Barb. Paynter story is a great one.

:)

Why not? Paynter suffered from colic and recovered.

Regardless of colic being life threatening Paynter fully recovered from it ,racing him again doesn't increase any chances of him getting it again. If Paynter suffered from a fracture or any other skeletal injury then i might have contemplated retiring him depending on how bad the injury was.

• JSC

Yes, if I were lucky enough to have a horse with heart like that I would. Amazing is right. If you get a chance watch his last Friday's race. Sandra S. gave date details, I'm sure Blood Horse will have full race results and video replay.

Good answers by Starlight 1 and Sandra S.

If the vet says he's good to go and is perfectly healthy and he may race then, why not?