Why did Britain send French troops back to France after the evacuation at dunkirk?

I was doing some research for a project and saw that a few weeks after the evacuation at dunkirk, French soldiers were repatriated and sent back to France where a lot of them were captured or killed in a matter of a few weeks. out of roughly 100,000 that went to Britain only 7,000 stayed in Britain and about 20,000... show more I was doing some research for a project and saw that a few weeks after the evacuation at dunkirk, French soldiers were repatriated and sent back to France where a lot of them were captured or killed in a matter of a few weeks. out of roughly 100,000 that went to Britain only 7,000 stayed in Britain and about 20,000 were captured by the Germans and the rest were either killed or continued fighting as partisans. But why send them back when they could'v been more useful during a liberation or some other invasion.