? asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 8 years ago

Is it safe to take vitamin C tablets, 1000mg, one every 2 hours?

I read online that taking one 1000mg tablet every 2 hours helps to induce your period, and I really want to make my period come early because I have prom in 2 weeks, and the date of my prom coincides with the date my period is supposed to be. I really don't want to be on my period for prom, because I want to have a really good time and I don't want to be worrying about whether I smell, or whether i need to change a pad, or worrying about putting a menstrual cup up there (I'm squemish with that sort of stuff, I don't even like touching my vagina, never mind putting something up there).

Is it safe to take this amount of vitamin C? What are the health implications, if any?

If it isn't safe and you don't recommend it, what else can I do other than drinking parsley tea (allergic to parsley) to induce my period?

Thank you

Favorite Answer

It is water soluble so it wouldn't be harmful short-term, but I would expect you'd get diarrhea more than you'd get your period so be aware of that if you try it (and it may not force your period soon enough for your plan). Theoretically, if it did work, the odds are that you'd feel a LOT more sick from the diarrhea and stomach upset of the high doses of Vitamin C that you'd prefer having your period.

One thing to note is that you can develop a tolerance to it and build up to those higher doses, but for the dosage range you're talking about, it would take months to get that high and too much can cause problems. Simply put, don't try it with only 2 weeks to go. Good luck and I hope I helped!

Source(s): Health/nutrition classes, personal experience, and personal research in my role as a Product Specialist for a vitamin company

vitamin c won't induce your period. You have choices, deal with the fact your period may happen, use tampons it you find a cup so squeamish, or you could see your doctor ASAP and ask for a course of progesterone pills to delay your period. You take the pills 3-4 times per day, don't miss any as you may bleed, then after your prom stop taking them and you will have your period.Progesterone is a female hormone so used occasionally these pills are a good way to delay a period. I have used this method a few times to delay a period and have never had any issues

• Tink

i have no idea where that nonsense comes from, there is no medical reason for it.

Parsley doesn't work either.

Most abortifacients and emmenogogues (many such substances are considered both) used in alternative medicine "work" because they are toxic, and your body will expel a fetus in an attempt to save you - - such substances are often listed as poisonous plants/chemicals, and if you use them and do not poison yourself, you can consider yourself quite lucky.

OR they are not intended to bring on a period in two weeks, but rather over a period of several months...in theory, they balance hormones; in reality any restorative powers are usually coincidental.

Tampons would serve your purpose. Do some reading about those....

Totally safe