Own gun in IL without FOID?

I know that in addition to the other background check and other requirements, in IL a FOID is required to purchase a firearm or ammunition, but is it required to own one?

If I were to purchase a firearm and/or ammunition out of state and bring it into IL (I live between ohio and IL about half and half out of the year) would that all fine, legally?

Assuming of course that the weapon is legally purchased, possessed, transported, etc

Favorite Answer

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/

"The FOID card is required for any resident of Illinois to possess or purchase firearms."

ALSO:

"Who needs a FOID card?

Unless specifically exempted by statute, any Illinois resident who acquires or possesses firearm or firearm ammunition within the State must have in their possession a valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card issued in his or her name. Non residents are not required to have a FOID card. New Illinois residents have sixty calendar days after obtaining an Illinois driver’s license or Illinois Identification Card to obtain a FOID card"

So, are you an IL resident? Do you have an IL DL? Or an IL mailing address?

If you answered "Yes" to any of those..then YES, you need a FOID card.

If you answered "NO" to all of those..then as long as your weapon meets all laws applicable in your home state, you should be good to go.

However, as you live in IL for half of the year, you could still be considered a resident.

My recommendation? Contact the IL State Police FOID section (217-782-7980 between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. CST Monday through Friday.), explain the situation to them, and get the LEGAL answer.

Source(s): I just googled the SHlT out of that!