Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 7 years ago

Good historical book recommendations?

So, my summer has just started and I'm running out of books to read. I enjoy reading historical novels, romance and fantasy a lot. I love books by Philippa Gregory so if you know any similar authors like her I would appreciate your suggestions :)

Best Answer

In HISTORICAL Fiction, here are some I (Fittings Doc) would recommend:

"The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco.

It is an historical whodunnit (murder mystery) set in an Italian monastery in the year 1327.

"Horatio Hornblower" novels by C. S. Forester

Story of the Naval career of a British sea officer about the time of Nelson.

"Sharpe's Rifles" the first prequel novel in the series written by Bernard Cornwell.

The story of a British rifleman, serving in Wellington's army against Napolean.

The "Aubrey/Maturin" novels of Patrick O'Brian which begin with "Master and Commander"

(The source for the "Master & Commander" movie)

"The King's Coat" first book of "Alan Lewrie" series by Dewey Lambdin.

about a young libertine whose father forces him to join the navy, where he discovers he relishes battle at sea as well as the women ashore.

"Ramage" first book in the series by Dudley Pope, about a British naval officer who receives special orders from Admiral Nelson to perform a daring rescue operation during the Napoleonic Wars

"Brian Boru: Emperor of the Irish" (1990 / 224 pages) by Morgan Llewellyn

(IRISH historical fiction)

"Lion of Ireland" (1980 / 400 pages) by Morgan Llewellyn

(IRISH historical fiction)

A novel about the life of the Irish hero and High King Brian Boru.

While gathering my list I came across this webpage with far more than I have read.

http://www.historicalnovels.info/Napoleo…

In FANTASY here are some I (Fittings Doc) would recommend:

“Waylander II: In the Realm of the Wolf” (1992 / 320 pages) by David Gemmell

(fifth book of the “Drenai Saga”) (The MASTER of Heroic fantasy)

It has a FEMALE main character.

Hell EVERYTHING by David Gemmell is worth reading!!!

He is a master at character development and readability.

If you like HEROIC FANTASY, You’ll find you cannot put his books down.

"Polgara the Sorceress" (1997/ 768 pages) by David Eddings

(a prequel to his masterwork series "The Belgariad" and "The Malloreon")

It has a FEMALE main character.

"The Elf Queen of Shannara" (1992 / 368 pages) by Terry Brooks

(the third book of the tetralogy "The Heritage of Shannara").

It has a FEMALE main character.

"Sheepfarmer's Daughter" (1988 / 512 pages) by Elizabeth Moon ***

(first book of the “Deed of Paksenarrion” trilogy)

It has a FEMALE main character.

"The Mists of Avalon” (1979) by Marion Zimmer Bradley

(first book of the “Avalon” series)

Which relates the Arthurian legends from the perspective of the FEMALE characters.

“Daughter of the Empire” (1987 / 394 pages) by Raymond E. Feist with Janny Wurts

(first book of “The Empire Trilogy”)

It has a FEMALE lead character.

“Arrows of the Queen” (1987 / 320 pages) by Mercedes Lackey

(first book of the “Heralds of Valdemar” series)

"The Riddle-Master of Hed" (1976 / 227 Pages) by Patricia A. McKillip

(first book of "The Riddle-Master trilogy")

(The third book in the trilogy, “Harpist in the Wind”, Won the Locus Award and was a nominee for the World Fantasy Award and Hugo Award )

“The Crystal Shard" (1988 / 384 pages) by R.A. Salvatore.

(the first book of "The Icewind Dale Trilogy")

“1632” (2000 / 608 pages) by Eric Flint ****

(first book of the “Ring of Fire” alternate history series)

"Island in the Sea of Time" (1998 / 608 pages) by S.M. Stirling

(the first book of the "Nantucket" series)

The island of Nantucket is transported by an unknown phenomenon (called "The Event" in the series) back in time into the Bronze Age circa 1250s BC (corresponding to the late Heroic Age of Greek mythology).

In GENERAL FICTION, here are some I (Fittings Doc) would recommend:

"The Firm" (1991 / 501 pages) by John Grisham (my FAVORITE book)

A 1st year lawyer discovers that his firm represents the MOB, the partners have "eliminated" other lawyers at "The Firm" and he is being pressured by the FBI to reveal information that would end his legal career!

"The Rainmaker" (1995 / 576 pages) by John Grisham

The story of a new lawyer representing a poor young man dying from leukemia, who is suing his Insurance company for having withheld treatment, due to the greed/fraud of an Insurance company.

Source(s): A life reading adventure novels of all kinds
  • Megg

One of my favorite Historical Fiction Novels is "The Scarlet Pimpernel" by Baroness Emma Orczy. My English teacher gave me a copy to read my Senior year because I was so bored with the other books we were assigned. I transferred from a Duel Credit/AP English class and I wanted more of a challenge with my reading material. I absolutely loved it! It's set during the early stages of the Reign of Terror/French Revolution. Not quite the style of Philippa Gregory, I have read The Other Boleyn Girl, but it's fantastic.

Certainly one of my favourite ancient fiction books is healthcare professional Zhivago. It takes position during World battle I in Russia and during the Russian Revolution. Its a story a few man (healthcare professional Zhivago) and a love affair he has with this other woman, Lara. It essentially chronicles his lifestyles (and hers) over the span of about 20-30 years, commencing from childhood in the early 1900s to the mid-late 20s (and a part of the booklet goes on to the thirties). It can be this reallyyy fine romantic epic. It should look a little boring every now and then, when you consider that the author mixes alot of political philosophy into it by way of fiction. For instance, mostly he'll start a chapter with a thoroughly unimportant and random character to show how life was once underneath the distinctive governments Russia went by means of. A different just right historical fiction e-book is one hundred Years of Solitude. I in my opinion preferred this one higher than health care professional Zhivago. It takes situation within the 1800s (would not rather specify) in the fictional town of Macondo. It takes place in South the united states, more exceptionally Columbia (once more, it certainly not specifies, however you could tell it does.) It follows the Buendia family over a span of one hundred years, and it's only so exciting. It contains magical realism -- as in, strange, magical matters are ordinary and no one really takes discover of them. It's a relatively strange, notion-upsetting novel. The exceptional Gatsby is an additional fairly excellent fictional e-book, about excessive-type existence within the 1920s. That is all i have proper now for historic fiction. If you wish to learn an fascinating novel concerning the Renaissance in Italy, learn Dante's Divine Comedy. It's made of three books: The Inferno, Purgatory, and finally Paradise. I've best read the Inferno, but i hope to get round to reading the opposite two soon. Its rather bizarre. Dante is truly taken on this go back and forth by means of Hell, and his consultant is Virgil. He passes by means of all the rings of hell, the entire even as encountering persons that he is aware of (I believe this is variety of humorous -- he locations his enemies in hell in his own ebook!!) and they're in exceptional rings, touching on the sin they committed (lust, gluttony, wrath, and many others.) It used to be written within the 1300s, just as the Renaissance used to be opening in Italy.

Gore Vidal did some great work - Michener - Ken Follett

Night by Ellie Wiesel.