Any Recommended Sci-Fi Books?

For as long as i've been reading i've been mainly reading within the fantasy and urban fantasy genre, but now want to start to explore Sci-Fi. Any recommendations or classics i should try out? i heard the Dune series is quite good.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Rose D
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Dune is a great place to start. You might also try to narrow your focus - there are many different types of sci fi. The term covers everything from cloning in the present to steampunk to military battles with aliens in the future. Here's a list of writers and a few books by each that bounce all over the place to get you started.

Sheri S Tepper - A Plague of Angels, Grass

John Scalzi - Old Man's War, Android's Dream

Ray Bradbury - The Martian Chronicles

Kage Baker - In the Garden of Iden

Cherie Priest - Boneshaker

Isaac Asimov - Nightfall, the Foundation series

Arthur C Clarke - 2001

David Weber - The Honor Harrington series

Robert A Heinlein - The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Starship Troopers

Kameron Hurley - God's War

William Gibson - Neuromancer, Mona Lisa Overdrive, Count Zero

Neal Stephenson - Cryptonomicon, Snow Crash, Anathem

Alfred Bester - The Stars my Destination, The Man in the High Castle

Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Philip K Dick - Ubik, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

Lois McMaster Bujold - The Vorkosigan series

Larry Niven - Ringworld

Walter Miller - A Canticle for Leibowitz

Margaret Atwood - The Handmaid'a Tale

You might also browse the Baen Free Library at http://www.baen.com/library/ - Baen is a publisher that specializes in sci fi, and several authors offer their works for free downloads. It's often the first book in a series for free, but it can give you an idea of what you like with no financial risk. There's also a helpful site at http://bestsciencefictionbooks.com/ that lists books based upon sub-genre.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Huh?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

For starting points I'd suggest the following writers:

Iain M. Banks - his 'Culture' novels are a modern take on big-scale space-opera. It's not too important which order you read them in except that you should read 'Consider Phlebas' first, as it introduces the Culture from the perspective of an outsider. I'd then suggest 'Use of Weapons' and 'Excession'.

Isaac Asimov - he wasn't the best at characterisation but he is a giant in the SF field. You should read his 'Foundation' series (Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation) to start with.

Stephen Baxter - like Asimov his characterisation is a bit ropey but he has some very big-scale ideas. His 'Xeelee Sequence' books are the place to start - try 'Timelike Infinity' or 'Ring'

Philip K. Dick - your entry point into more psychologically based SF. I would suggest 'Ubik', 'The Man in the High Castle', 'Martian Time-slip' or 'A Scanner Darkly' as starters.

Frank Herbert - of his 'Dune' series the only one I thought was really good was, er, 'Dune'. I gave up on his sequels after 'God-Emperor of Dune' and the sequels written by his son are apparently terrible.

Larry Niven - his 'Known Space' series is deceptively light-hearted. Try 'Ringworld' as a starter.

Gene Wolfe - his 'Book of the New Sun' series is a classic but the books have to be read in order. Once you've read them the follow on, 'The Urth of the New Sun' is a must-read.

E.E. 'Doc' Smith - if you can find them, his 'Lensman' series is very entertaining, if sometimes terribly written. Start with 'Galactic Patrol' then read 'Gray Lensman', 'Second Stage Lensmen' and 'Children of the Lens'. DON'T read the prologues in these books, or the first two novels in the sequence ('Triplanetary' and 'First Lensman'), as these were rewritten after the main novels became successful and give away too much of the backstory. Feel free to read them once you finish 'Children'.

• Cris
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

Last summer I took a free online course on Fantasy and Science Fiction. It was really great.

The list of books was of classic fantasy and SF; you can just read these or join the course as well

1.Grimm — Children's and Household Tales

2.Carroll — Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass

3.Stoker — Dracula

4.Shelley — Frankenstein

5.Hawthorne & Poe — Stories and Poems

6.Wells — The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Invisible Man, "The Country of the Blind," "The Star"

7.Burroughs & Gilman — A Princess of Mars & Herland

8.Bradbury — The Martian Chronicles

9.LeGuin — The Left Hand of Darkness

10.Doctorow — Little Brother

It's still available every summer, I dearly recommend it. https://www.coursera.org/course/fantasysf

We had to write a short essay about each book and give feedback to other students.

• 7 years ago

Yes...DUNE!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.