kesha asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 years ago

why do people say "filipino" is a language?

It's not. I'm bisaya and it really irratates me when people ask "do you know how to speak filipino?"

I was born and raised in philippines btw and when I talked to a filipino in america they say bisaya is not a language and that it is a dialect. If it's a dialect then why don't tagalog people understand when ilongo, ilocano or cebuana people talk?

• David
    Favorite Answer

In practical terms, Filipino is the formal name of Tagalog, or even a synonym of it. It is sometimes described as "Tagalog-based", part of a political fiction that the national language is based on an amalgam of Philippine languages rather than on Tagalog alone. It is usually called Tagalog within the Philippines and among Filipinos to differentiate it from other Philippine languages, but it has come to be known as Filipino to differentiate it from the languages of other countries; the former implies a regional origin, the latter a national. This is similar to the concept of the names given to the Spanish language, where Castilian tends to be used within Spain, and Spanish in international settings.

Ummmm....bisaya is most likely a dialect. I'm not saying that to insult your language or your culture at all. But take Korea for example. Most people think that Korea has one language...Korean. But that "Korean" language actually describes many different dialects. And those dialects are so radically different from each other that they almost should be classified as different languages.

As an extreme example...

If Korean from Busan (far South) travels to Uijeongbu (near the DMZ), the Korean from Busan is speaking a different dialect from the local Koreans in Uijeongbu...and the Koran from Busan is going to have extreme difficulty communicating with fellow Koreans...even though they are speaking the same language.

I have friends who were born and raised in Korea. They have relatives who are Korean (born and raised) who they can not communicate with...because their relatives are speaking different dialects of Korean. See, it's possible to speak the same language as someone else and still have extreme difficulty in communicating with them.

It makes perfect sense (to me anyway) that someone who is tagalog could not understand when ilongo, ilocano or cebuana people talk. Different dialects!!!

So in the same sense, bisaya probably is a dialect. I myself thought tagalog was a language, and the language of the Philippines. But I later learned that it is actually insulting for people from outside of the Philippines to describe the Philippine language as tagalog. As I understand it NOW, the language of the Philippines is BASED on tagalog....

And what are you going to call the language of the Philippines if you do NOT call it filipino? You can't call it Tagalog, as that's not accurate...and it's insulting. In the same sense, you can't call it basaya or ilongo or ilocano or cebuana...as those do not describe the language of the whole country.

The language spoken through ancient Egyptians changed a bit of over time. Basically, the Egyptian language came from the languages spoken to the east of Egypt, Semitic languages like Hebrew, and languages spoken to the south, Hamitic languages like Somali. The phrases in this language are traditionally made from consonant sounds, unlike the vowel sounds we use at present in English. Ancient Egyptian is the language that scientists consider was once being spoken at the time when the pyramids had been built. Center Egyptian got here a bit of later and has been determined on many just lately learned industry and govt documents. Coptic is the last known stage of the historical Egyptian language. It used quite a lot of the Greek alphabet, with only a few extra letters from the older Egyptian languages. Coptic was most likely utilized by the Egyptian Christians towards the top of the time of the old Egyptians. Now they speak in Arabic, to not be mistaken with Farsi although. Hieroglyphs is the written language during the old instances.

• ꇂꉧ

I think 'Filipino' is a name that used to be promoted by Philippines before.

Tagalog, Bisaya, Ilocano, are some of the most spoken dialects in the Philippines. On July 14, 1936, the National Language Institute selected Tagalog as the basis of the National Language, because Tagalog is the most understood dialect in the country compared to the other dialects, it is not divided into smaller "sub-dialects" unlike Bisaya, its literary tradition is richest, it has always been the dialect of Manila, and 1896 Revolution and the Katipunan.

During those times, people knew Tagalog as the National Language of the Philippines, but since not all of the Filipino people speak it, the government replaced some words so that more people would understand. They got words from different dialects (Bisaya, Hiligaynon, etc) and different languages (Spanish and English) and called the National Language, Filipino.

Filipino = Tagalog + some other dialects + some languages.

• Jim

I sometimes ask this question myself. There are many dialects and language in the Philippines. The official languages of the Philippines are listed as English and Filipino. Filipino seems to include Tagalog and is listed as having 25 million speakers.

When I ask people what they mean by the word "Filipino," they usually answer "Tagalog." I think that some people think that if there is a country named "Philippines," there ought to be a language with a similar name. About 20 million people worldwide speak Tagalog, but that is far from the complete story.

The language of the Bisaya people seems to be ati which has many dialects:

Barotac Viejo Nagpana, Malay. Barotac

Viejo Nagpana is the prestige dialect.

I think this is confusing. I hope it is helpful