Do the California DMV and the North Carolina DMV have a reciprocity agreement?

Do California and North Carolina share DMV info? Will a driving violation or license suspension in California affect an application for a license in Carolina? If so, can I take care of the problem in Carolina or does it have to be done in Cali? Thanks for any info anyone can supply.

4 Answers

  • Favorite Answer

    Yes, they have a reciprocity agreement. Technology today has made that really easy to do. You will have to take care of the problem with the California DMV. North Carolina can't clear that up for you.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    Yes my husband found out the hard way. When he went to renew his lic for 2008 they pulled up a ticket from NJ from 17 years earlier. The DMV said that now all states have joined in a system to collect from other states unpaid tickets. It cost like 150 bucks for ticket then the reinstatement fee of what ever your state charges. It was a pain in the butt.

  • 8 years ago

    Suspensions MUST be resolved by the courts, and DMV of the state that suspended your license.

    By the way most Californians find the term "Cali" VERY disrespectful. "Cali" is a drug city in South America. WE abbreviate our states name "Cal". Saying Cali here will label you as a tourist or a "poser".

    Source(s): So Cal gal.
  • 8 years ago

    it has to be done in cali. a suspension will show everywhere inside the us.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.