How much better are electric cars?

How much better are electric cars For the environment? What advantages do they do for it?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If the entire US fleet of vehicles were electric they would require at most 30% of the electricity we presently use. However about 86% of those vehicles could be charged at night (off peak) with no additional generating equipment because we have at least that much excess capacity at night.

At the same time we would be saving about 6 kWh to 8kWh of energy (electricity and some other fuel sources) used to refine oil into each gallon of gasoline. The average electric car can go further on this much energy than the average petrol vehicle can go using the refined product.

We could easily run US vehicles on existing energy sources without the pollution of Oil.

And it is not just air pollution. Many will recall the months that it took to cap the BP oil well in the Gulf. Slightly more than 200 million gallons spilled in the worst ever ecological disaster? No Every year more than 200 million gallons of lubricating oil is drained from cars and improperly disposed of in the environment. Every Year. Petrol cars pollute more than just the air. Electric cars don't use lubricating fluids that need to be drained. http://www.epa.gov/osw/conserve/materials/usedoil/...

Are you worried about US economic health? The trade deficit attributed to imported oil was 327 billion dollars in 2011. This is approximately equal to the trade deficit with China. To balance the books we need to stop importing oil. Electricity is primarily a domestic product.

The EPA has this to say about a petrol powered car: "Only about 14%–26% of the energy from the fuel you put in your tank gets used to move your car down the road." http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/atv.shtml Tesla measured their roadster at approximately 92% efficiency from battery to wheels. http://www.efficient-mileage.com/tesla-roadster.ht...

When we look at a petrol vehicle we necessarily must look at the vehicle plus pollution from transporting the fuel and refining it (although few do) because where else are you going to get gasoline. It doesn't fall from the sky. Those who attribute power plant pollution to electric vehicles assume that there are no other options than the electric grid to power the vehicle. They assume it is not possible to get electricity from your roof, or the wind. The electric car will never be as closely tied to a specific source of its fuel like the petrol vehicle.

Over time electric vehicles will change. Someday power may be transmitted to them leaving no battery pack to charge. At that time the vehicles will have unlimited range with no recharging times: http://spectrum.ieee.org/green-tech/advanced-cars/...

Source(s): http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-efficiency... see also "Why gearheads should be begging to drive electric cars:" http://evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=30429
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

The hype for electric vehicles isn't shared by the reality. While they don't pollute the air in actual operation there is still no free lunch in their use. Fossil fueled power plants provide the electricity needed to charge the batteries. If everybody drove electric vehicles and got home and plugged them all in the drain on these power plants would necessitate running these power plants at higher capacity requiring burning of even more fossil fuels and adding to the pollution they already create. Their cost is greater than gasoline powered cars, the replacement batteries more costly. I truly don't see the advantage electric cars have over conventional cars until a better source of power is developed. Maybe even a different source of power than electricity.

• 7 years ago

Various advantages of EVs:

--------------------------

Lower cost for fuel. Electricity costs just 2 to 4 cents per mile. Gasoline cost is 15 to 30 cents per mile (depending in your car's mileage.) EVs are several times cheaper to fuel.

Higher reliability. Electric motors have just one moving part and require no regular maintenance. Think about the electric motor in your refrigerator, how it just runs and runs for decades. Would you want a gas engine in there?

Higher efficiencies. EV motors are better than 90% efficient, generate no waste heat, and can even recover braking energy to recharge batteries. If we take the huge amounts of energy (mainly electricity!!) we use to refine gasoline, and use it to power EVs instead, our net energy usage will drop significantly.

Energy independence. All the energy needed to power electric cars is made right here. No more imported oil, no need for foreign entanglements or wars protecting petroleum sources. Who needs the middle east anymore?

Cleanliness. This follows from higher efficiency, and also from the energy saved (with its pollution) by refining less gasoline. Higher efficiency means less miles driven on a given amount of energy - which also means less pollution, no matter what gets burned to make the electricity (even if it's coal.) Many studies show EVs make far less pollution.

Supporting American innovation. Nearly all the technology behind electric cars - the best motor and battery designs - are American inventions. Don't let the rest of the world run off with our inventions.

American competitiveness. The first major brand electric cars to hit the market - like the Nissan Leaf and Mitsubishi i-MiEV - are foreign cars. Other governments help their automakers develop new technology. We must, too, or we will lose this important new market to the competition.

Source(s): Link below is to a collection of several well-to-wheels studies showing EVs make less pollution: http://sherryboschert.com/Downloads/Emissions%5B9%... * PS, what's with ramkumar below COPYING MY ANSWER???
  • rick m
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

They are undoubtedly better and can be significantly better depending on the power source. In the first place, an internal combustion engines is, at most, 40% efficient. An electric motor is about 80% percent efficient.

An oil burning power plant is more efficient than an IC engine because it does not vent as much heat as the engine, a LNG power plant is more efficient than an oil fired plant because the bonds between hydrogen and carbon in natural gas are stronger than those in gasoline or oil.

If the power source is nuclear, wind, water or solar powered the efficiency (energy produced vs energy expended) is greater still.

There are some losses such as wire resistance, energy needed to build the renewable power source and, in the case of nuclear power, mine and process the uranium ore, etc, but overall, they are much more efficient. More efficiency means less CO2 released into the atmosphere as well as the fact that a fixed power plant is better able to scrub other harmful gasses and chemicals from the exhaust (if it exists) than an IC engine.

Source(s): scientist
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Electric cars are about four times as efficient as conventional cars. In a conventional car, about 80% of the potential energy in a gallon of petroleum is lost in heat dissipation, friction, the engine running when the car is sitting, etc, etc.

• mayne
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I actually have not in any respect pushed one, yet 25 miles decision is incredibly short and 40MPH suitable p.c. is incredibly sluggish. and that i wager it quite is with new batteries, it might want to likely degrade because the batteries age. I wager after a pair years of use you'd be getting 15 miles decision at 30 MPH. and that i wager it wouldn't have air con. it quite is okay in Seattle or someplace like that, yet in Texas the position I stay, i does no longer get excitement from using domicile from artwork on a 100 degree day in heavy site visitors on that warm pavement contained in the blazing solar without air con! Now, in case you in trouble-free words prefer to force 5 or 10 miles to artwork, or perhaps 10 or 15 in case you are able to plug in at artwork, and in case you holiday in trouble-free words on streets with a p.c. reduce no larger than 40MPH, then I say $10,000 is a incredibly solid deal. yet I holiday 13 miles to artwork, 26 miles round holiday, and do not have an section to plug in at artwork, and that i force the restricted-access highway component of how. So for me that vehicle does no longer have sufficient p.c. or decision (oh, and no A/C).

• 7 years ago

They're not.

They take a ridiculously long time to charge, they cannot travel any kind of usable distance on that charge, and the mines where the materials come from that make their batteries cause acid rain and are usually just environmental waste lands for around a 100 mile radius.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

This follows from higher efficiency, and also from the energy saved (with its pollution) by refining less gasoline. Higher efficiency means less miles driven on a given amount of energy - which also means less pollution, no matter what gets burned to make the electricity (even if it's coal.) Many studies show E Vs make far less pollution.

• John W
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

A coal power plant is about 35% efficient, US power grids lose about 6.6% of the energy, Lithium Ion batteries are 80% efficient at charging and 90% efficient at discharging, an electric motor is 98% efficient. Therefore, an electric car is 23.1% efficient at converting fossil fuel energy to motion on roads. A gasoline car is 25% to 30% efficient and a diesel car is 60% efficient.

The only advantage is that the energy used to produce electricity can be changed at a few points rather than at each vehicle and this isn't really an advantage because we've known how to efficiently synthesize gasoline and diesel from syngas since the 1920's ( we've even run entire countries on it before ) and we also know how to use energy to make syngas from CO2 and H2O. It's just that collecting or producing energy to store as synthetic fuels can never compete with the stored solar energy that nature has collected over millions of years.

Electric cars are green washing, they encourage people to replace existing cars with newer electric cars. The un-needed manufacturing of electric cars imposes a significant environmental damage in themselves.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

They are undoubtedly better and can be significantly better depending on the power source. In the first place, an internal combustion engines is, at most, 40% efficient. An electric motor is about 80% percent efficient.it protect the environment from being pollution

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.