Rock and Pop: When you write lyrics/music, do you have to be inspired to make anything "good"?

("good" is in quotation marks because it's subjective) Or can you just sit down and write on a whim? I usually only write lyrics when I'm greatly moved/affected by something, what about you guys?

BQ- the last thing you celebrated?

BQ2- the last song/artist to really impress you?

It's been a while since I've been here, hope you guys are having a good summer :)

Thanks everyone!

Best Answer

I only write lyrics when I force myself to do so. Otherwise, I just write guitar riffage ^.^

BQ: Last day of school, I played frisbee with my friends at a park in Bothell.

BQ2: Sacred Reich, and their song "Surf Nicaragua."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6HF7mxTlo

Youtube thumbnail

The singer has a f**king awesome voice.

• Ryan

Yes - I don't write just for the sake to write something new. I have to be inspired. Back when I was writing for my band most songs were random and they were only around 1:20 or less in time length. Some of those lyrics were more spontaneous.

BQ: Just wishing Matt Freeman (of Rancid) a happy birthday today.

BQ2: Probably Bad Religion's latest album, "True North". I enjoyed that album very much. I've been a BR fan for a long time and they always write great songs w/ good melodies. I don't really want to call it being "impressed". They've always been a band that has delivered good quality songwriting and I already know what they sound like and all that. No offense but in this case being called "impressed" might sound kind of tacky or not the right word - For I'm listening to their songs because I'm a passionate/dedicated fan showing a response to their music. The album came out a few months ago though.

You absolutely do not need to be inspired to write lyrics. Just write whatever feels good.

BQ- Mother's day

BQ2- Artist: Iron & Wine Song: Rabbit Will Run

Source(s): Me

While I don't write music, I know it's that way when I'm trying to draw something.

BQ: Probably my high school graduation last year. Went to a three day music festival out near San Diego. Haven't really had anything worth celebrating recently.

BQ2: Just a Man - The Classic Crime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmn-z6KO0V4

Youtube thumbnail

I'm not a song-writer but, like with other art, I would need inspiration from an idea of some sort to get started.

BQ: Two friends with serious illnesses are doing well! That was today that I heard about it.

BQ2: Paul Weller, Paul Rodgers.. I hope bad company comes to my city

Great to see you - enjoy your weekend :)

I don't write lyrics or music, though I need to start... but when I'm writing a story, I rarely feel inspired, and one my problems is that I need to learn how to write when the muse isn't with me.

BQ: I can't even remember.

BQ2: Tim Hecker, listen to this, Mia. It's so desolate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUpA8R01d50

Youtube thumbnail

First i need a pencil and a piece of paper,and then i write,i ain't really inspired when i write lyrics,i just write about things that happened in my life.

BQ - my sisters birthday

BQ2 - Jay Reatard,The Reatards

"Good" is in the eye of the beholder sweetie, an old cliche' I know but certainly true. You're certainly smart enough to add "subjective" to your statement. I think you're method is definitely one of the best and I would have to say that would be called "inspiration" which is an AWESOME fuel for either music or lyric writing. I am a guitarist myself and listen to a wide variety of rock and blues but for me I just try to take certain parts or techniques and let it happen.

Two of my favorite lyricists are from southern rock bands. Ronnie Van Zandt of the original Lynyrd Skynyrd out of Jacksonville, Florida. He was tragically killed in a plane crash so many years ago when I was just a kid yet I had an older friend who loved them and he always played their music for me and I was struck by how down to earth, truthful, honest, and at times funny, Ronnie's words always were, he was a true storyteller and his songs ALWAYS had a message but not in a "self-righteous, preachy" way at all ever. A funny thing but very true, he always got his inspiration and wrote his words in his head whenever he was in the SHOWER would you believe. I tried it a couple times myself and it just didn't happen, lol!

Michael Stipe from REM out of Athens, Georgia, who sadly broke up last year is another great lyricist BUT his words and melodies are completely opposite of Ronnie's. They are more abstract and "stream of conciousness" types of lyric writing especially on their early albums. With their later albums he became much more direct but it still worked for him.

Neil Young is a lyricist to me who for the most part is a true "visionary". Three of his most famous and best loved songs,Cinnamonn Girl, Down By The River, and Cowgirl In The Sand he wrote in bed when he was sick and had a 104 degree fever!! I don't think I would have been able to pick up a guitar let alone actually write a song being that sick, lol!

• ?

Hi Anjellex!

When I write lyrics its like this.

An abstract idea gets my imagination sparked.

In most cases I can ditch the dross straight away.

More often, I have good lyrics due to them having to be written. In that, I am almost compelled to write, when I feel like that; my stuff is good / very good.

Rarely, have I ever just sat down and written a lyric ( lyrics ) . I have to have the impetus to get me moving to begin with.

I know it may sound odd, what I've just said. For me, if it works, it works. I don't analyse, I accept how things are and; get on with it.

B.Q. My son Nicholas was 32 on 13th June. I've not seen him for many years, still I celebrate his birthday and; such things.

B.Q.2. Johnny Dowd, got into him a short while ago and; I really like him.

Summer not so bad; so far. I hope all is well with you??!!

Source(s): Music lover, good luck!

Lol, I think I have to be high :P

BQ: Thar be rumours that D'Angelo is going to release his new record this year. If they come true... *Starts singing hallelujah while twirling around*

BQ2: Sir Mix-A-Lot. He was so ahead of his time XD