What are my rights against police officers in California?

as a 17 yr old skateboarder i get held by the police a lot and id like to know more about my rights as a citizen, like when am i allowed to walk away or refuse to show ID. if there is anything else i should know as a citizen please feel free to add more information.

• John S
    Favorite Answer

A minor has most of the same Fourth Amendment protections as an adult, especially where the police are involved. That means you can walk away unless the officer tells you that you are not free to leave, which he can do with a valid detention--he does not have to arrest you. California has no law requiring you to provide a police officer with ID unless you are doing something that requires one, like driving a car. But if you do not identify yourself and an officer has cause to believe you committed an offense, you might be taken into custody rather than simply cited.

However, although some people enjoy getting in the face of police officers, the better course is to be polite and cooperative, though not to the extent of allowing them to do things they would not otherwise be permitted to do. For example, my advise is never to consent to a search of your person or effects (though that does not mean that an officer cannot search you with proper cause for doing so).

Source(s): 35+ years as a criminal defense attorney

First thing's first. Be respectful to the police officer. Don't call him a "Goddamned Nazi" and try to out smart him with the law. Second. Know the law. In many, many, many cases I've been told that I couldn't carry a firearm on my person or in my vehicle unless it was unloaded and the ammunition was separate from me such as in the trunk. This is actually untrue. I usually open carry even though I do have a CCW and I always carry with a full magazine and a round in the chamber. Some do make up their own laws like that. They will try and scare you such as threaten to arrest you if you don't....show your ID or something like that. There are times where you HAVE to show your ID though such as to verify your age for drinking, operating a vehicle or carrying a firearm. But when they do want to verify your age they're supposed to check your DOB and give your ID back...not take it back to their car and run your name for warrants.

Don't be stupid with cops, you throw an attitude in their face and they will make something up for probable cause to arrest or search you. Be civil, be polite and then walk away. If you're trespassing on private property while skateboarding and they ask you for ID. Hand it over. You know you have a right to a lawyer so if they place you under arrest just keep asking for a lawyer.

• You are not a citizen, first of all. You are a MINOR citizen, and therefore have very few rights to be out in public. The police can stop you, ask for ID. Take you into custody until they call your parents.

Stop going where you are not permitted, and the problem will probably go away.

• James

In California you have the right to be beat, tazed ,shot, and set on fire.

You have the right to STOP using your skateboard where it is prohibited. If you do that, the rest doesn't matter.

• Kevin

You're allowed to walk away any time you're not under arrest. Though sometimes it will prompt them to arrest you and it is better to just talk to them.