Why did an Australian DJ get sacked for insulting Julia Gillard's boyfriend, but...?

The DJ who made the prank call to the hospital the Queen was in, resulting in the suicide of the nurse who took the call, received an award for being such a good DJ!

The Australians seem to have a very mixed up and confused sense of priorities and sense of what is important.

On what planet is insulting Julia Gillard's boyfriend consider more of an offense than making a malicious prank call to a Head of State, much less WHILE SHE WAS ILL, which resulted in the embarrassment and consequent suicide of the nurse who put the call through.

I will continue posting this as many times as it gets deleted. Obviously there is a very sensitive Australian moderator on this section of Yahoo Answers who can't accept the truth.

Favorite Answer

That's the double standards we have in this country you see.Every day I see someone here calling the rest of us homophobics and trying to convince us that homosexuality is normal but ask is someone gay & suddenly it's an insult.It has long been accepted that Matheson is gay and Gillard is fooling herself if she thinks we are unaware of that.Sattler is planning to take legal action,I hope he wins.

@ Bandicoot,maybe he is which is why he recognises another one in Tim Matheson.

• OzNana

I think the best answer Julia Gillard could have given might have been "And your problem with that would be, what? Not that it's anyone else's business". The general responses to this incident confirm all negative stereotypes about gay men / lesbian women, or indeed relationships in general. I don't think it matters at all whether one or both or none of this couple are gay. It's whether or not she can do the job properly that counts, and lately, that seems very doubtful.

People in general make too many assumptions about other peoples' relationships, which after all, are none of their business. It's enough to know that they're in a long term relationship of some kind. End of story.

Having said all of this, I can't help wondering why on earth someone in her position would even think of going on a shock jock show at all. I do wonder whether she knew something might happen, and given the recent debacle of the chef's kid's stupid joke menu, she is playing for the public sympathy vote, because she's certainly losing most of the others just now.

I do believe these prank calls to and from silly radio programs are stupid and potentially dangerous, as we have seen in the case you mention. It's not adult behaviour, it's puerile.

• C.M. C

Tough Guy, though I have not seen anything on this issue, as where I am world news is a bit slow, I am shocked, totally un Australia, everyone has the right to opinion. From what I read from one of the answers, it had to do with a certain part of the anatomy or in particular part thereof or organ.

Did he know how to use it Tough Guy. did he know which end was up............ooops no pun intended.

As for your two DJ's that made a mess of British security and the infamous telephone call, we foreigners thick it was the classic of all times. Only Australians would have the balls to execute that classic.

Lets reverse the clock a little further, I remember seeing an incident on the news concerning George Bush Jr, and an Australian Comedian, dressed as a look a like of Bin Laden, approaching the then US President, never heard anything further on that score.

Tough Guy, I believe you guys should get your heads out of your sand buckets, and be Australian and have mass protests in support of this DJ that got sacked and have him reinstated without any loss.

With all that is going on in the world, I admire to hear good Australian classics as the above, a good laugh did not hurt anyone.

What people are ignoring is the fact that the Australian people have every right to know just who it is we have in the Lodge , particularly as our PM is not in a committed relationship.

This guy is living off taxpayers & living very darn well & if the whole ' arrangement ' is a sham designed to give Gillard the look of respectability , then she should have the blow torch applied until she admits it !

The test will come after Sept 14th ...let's see what happens then .

Source(s): J...
  • Lhotse

Howard Sattler was being a deliberate douchebag.

The prank call DJs were executing a prank.

Simple really.

Because there is no freedom of speech in this country when you say something that a bigger power happens to not like.

Even if he insulted Gillard herself, he should not have been sacked.

• As he said, he was only asking what a lot of people were thinking!

Gillard is the most offensive person I know of, and she gets away with it under parliamentary privilege. She has totally lost the plot, and needs to see a shrink, instead of leading the country even further into the S**t

And you need to get your facts right, it was NOT the Queen in hospital, it was the Duchess of Cambridge, with morning sickness!!!!!

I have enormous respect for how our PM is conducting herself in all this. She's showing a lot of courage and grace under fire.

Some have a confused sense of priorities..... The Honourable Prime Minister of Australia, Julia Eileen Gillard Leader of the Australian Labor Party is 'Australia'.....the queen isn't 'Australia'

Relentless coalition propaganda to manipulate the Australian voter. Scare mongering is the laziest form of Politics and the outcome is evidence of the Libs stupidity.

• Cecil

The nurse who committed suicide chose to do so. It would have been hard for anyone to foresee someone receiving a phone call and then killing themselves.The DJ s who phoned the hospital did not intend for anything bad to happen. The DJ who asked the PM if her boyfriend was gay intended to cause offence. Which Australians do you refer to? The sacking or otherwise of radio station employees is not decided by vote by the Australian electorate.

The call was not to the Head of State and I think most would agree, was not malicious.

You are posting in a travel section, Try posting a travel related question and you may not get removed.

• That really annoyed me too. I don't know how to explain it and I don't even think there's anything they can say to justify these rewards and punishments. It's so silly.