Is online college a good idea?

I have been trying hard to find a job so that I can save up for a car. However I have not been able to get a job since I live in a small town and hardly any place is hiring. I want to go to college in the fall but I have no way to get to my college since its two towns over and I can't ride a bicycle on the highway. We also do not have buses here, and taxis are expensive. I was thinking of trying to do online college for a year or two that way I can learn from home and hopfully find a job within that time so I can get a car. Also, my family can't just go buy my a car either, since my mom doesn't make much money.

Do you think online college is a good idea for a year or two until I can save up for a car?

I have no idea what you're talking about Tina. I asked a question once about transportation, but nothing about online college?

Favorite Answer

Short answer, not really.

If you need money, you can always fill out financial aid forms and only go part-time. Also when you take out a college loan, you don't have to start paying it back until you graduate.

You need to be very careful with online colleges. MANY are not actually accredited, meaning you are giving them money for a useless piece of paper that does not count as a real degree. Wikipedia has a list of those you should AVOID: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unaccredited_...

Now, even if you do find an accredited online university, employers aren't likely going to think much of your degree. You don't really get any experience working in your field or other people when you solely take online classes. If two people with the same degree and experience apply for a job, but one has an online degree...you can be sure that the one who went to a physical classroom will be hired.

Essentially it isn't a good idea because 1. you're likely to get scammed and 2. employers generally don't like online degrees anyway.

Also, have you thought of applying to a different college where you can stay on campus? That way you won't need a car.