Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Johnny asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 8 years ago

What are some bodybuilding tips to gain muscle?

I'm 19 years old. I want to gain muscle! Any tips on gaining muscle? What helps you? How do you stay motivated?

If you want to build muscles then you would have to burn more calories. If you use 2000 cal a day then you must increase it at 2500. You take food stuff enriched with protein. You must use milk, meat, boiled eggs etc. You should increase the level of water you drink daily to get healthy body. You will also take meal three time a day instead of having two or one big meal a day. These all was about your diet. Beside all these you should also excercise regularly. You should do push ups, pull ups and lift weight. These will help your muscles to grow. You may join a gym.

Do a full body routine at least twice a week lift heavy weights low rep and for motivation i let my pre-workout supplement motivate me ha

Whoever said "burn more calories" - WRONG!

Bad advice.

You actually need a slight calorie surplus. Aim for about 250kcal extra per day. The thing to remember is that gaining muscle is a long term project and that you have to make little adjustments on a daily basis to get the overall big picture.

Some people will eat too much and they will get extremely fat with gaining muscle. If you want to stay as lean as possible while trying to bulk, 250kcal extra is the way to go.

As for lifting, you need to do a mix of volume (number of sets/reps) and intensity (the weight that's hard and easy for you - higher being your heavy weights):

Low Volume / High Intensity

Medium Volume / High Intensity

High Volume / Med-Low Intensity

The important thing is to pay attention to your energy levels. If you're on a "chest" day and feel tired for whatever reason, you might want to do a medium volume / med-low intensity to get an intense workout without jeopardizing form, safety, and gains. That would be your CNS (Central Nervous System) telling you that you need to back off. Your body knows it's limits - listen to it.

And as far as lifts, find a split that works for you.

Personally, I do 5-6 different days split up as:

Chest/Triceps

Back/Biceps

Legs

Shoulders

And then i'll add a day or two, to target specific weak points. If it is my shoulders, I will make sure to do shoulders on Monday as to give it enough rest to workout again at the end of the week.

Lifts should be mostly compound movements, big one's being:

Inclined & Flat Bench Press OR Dumbbell Press (Helps with stability, great to switch it up to create balance)

Deadlifts (the king of all exercises in my opinion, hence my name on here)

Squats

Clean and Press

Power Cleans

And as far as nutrition goes, relate back to the beginning of what I said. To get in extra calories, up your protein intake slightly as you should be getting near or over 1g of protein per lb. of body weight. In addition, up your unsaturated fat intake as this is most calorie dense. 1g of fat = 9kcal as where protein and carbs = 4kcal

With that being said, you need to have protein and carbs in every meal. Make sure to eat your vegetables, and most importantly - DRINK WATER. 1-2 gal. Having sufficient water along with carbs with literally "fill" your muscles by replacing glycogen stores and allowing for better transfer rates for your protein intake. i.e. - After you hit the gym you drink a protein shake (hydrolyzed works best), then your body can easily inject that protein quickly into your muscles to begin repairing, allowing amino acids to do their jobs. It's most effective when you've been drinking enough water and have the right nutrition.

All in all for supplements, I'd invest in:

High quality protein isolate / hydrolyzed

Multi-Vitamin

Fish Oil / Flax Seed

Straps (really helps when working on back as to allow you to lift heavier weights - by the way, when you work out back, pull from your elbows using your hands as anchors, just a tip of advice from someone who it took a long time to learn)

Hope this is a good starting point for you. Tried to cover a wide range of things.