Sandra S. asked in SportsHorse Racing · 8 years ago

Horse Racing: Do you have any great moments of Ramon Dominques who was force to retire today?

Ramon Dominguez announced Today/Thursday 6/13 that he has been forced to end his riding career as a result of injuries sustained in a Jan. 18 spill at Aqueduct.

Blue Jay was kind enough to pass this article link in today DRF to me. http://www.drf.com/news/ramon-dominguez-retires-jo...

Thx Blue Jay :)

Do you have any great horse racing moments to share. No Rude Answers Please :)

Some Highlights of RA-

Ramon Domínguez is the regular rider of two-time Eclipse Award-winning turf champion Gio Ponti, whom he has ridden to victories in six Grade One stakes races including Belmont Park's Man o' War Stakes twice, as well as the Arlington Million, Frank E. Kilroe Mile Handicap and Shadwell Turf Mile Stakes twice. His first win in the Breeders' Cup came in 2004 when he rode Better Talk Now to victory in the Breeders' Cup Turf.

RA has won six races in a day on three occasions, most recently on July 22, 2012 when he rode six winners from seven mounts at Saratoga Race Course tying the same day win record by a jockey among all NYRA tracks. He is the second jockey in Saratoga's history to win six races on a single race card. He has also won five races in a day on several occasions at Aqueduct Racetrack, most recently on February 17, 2010 when he won the first five races on the card.

RA is the recipient of the 2010, 2011, and 2012 Eclipse Award for Outs

@ Frostitute- Sorry, about your losses, you must of been doing something different than the rest of us then. Just bustin' stones. Good luck w/ future bets.

@JSC- Nice answer JSC. :)

• JSC
    Favorite Answer

Nice of you to post about him Sandra. Funny, he retired the day after you asked your other question too. Did you know something..lol.

Starlight 1 is right, he could of been killed. Thx God he lived to tell about it.

Moments- Well, I never heard or read a bad thing about him. Ramon Dominquez was well liked by people, his fans, fellow Jockey's and all those around the track. He was the best Jockey in NY. He wasn't the leading Jockey for nothing. He got the most out of the horses he rode. Good Hands. Always had a feel for the industry. He will be missed. Well, yeah, who knows maybe someday he'll be back like Gary Stevens. As we say ya never know in Horse Racing. All the best to an all around great Guy/Jockey.

Edit- I know you enjoyed watching 2011 Horse of the Year Havre de Grace Sandra who Ramon Dominguez was the regular rider of, as well as those you listed in details.

Thx for link Blue Jay !

• ?

I admire looking at horses race....My sister likes horses so I continuously watched the tremendous 3 races. Interesting to stay up for two minutes and those announcers are powerful (best announcers in any recreation). Anyway, I believe the largest crisis is that it's no longer about the horses, it is about the cash. If the game revolved more around horses, then it could be higher. It is so serious about the homeowners and the $$$.

I'm sorry he has to retire, yes, but he's actually lucky that he's still alive and able to walk and get around on his own, even if he can't ride. There are people like Courtney King Dye in dressage who've suffered injuries similar to his and who have ended up mostly or partially paralyzed for the rest of their lives. Dominguez is lucky he won't have to face that. He will probably be depressed for a while, but eventually,he'll see the wisdom behind what the medical people are telling him.

Source(s): I'm a horse owner and a long time follower of racing.

Ramon was such a natural talent. I can name only a few young jockeys who have as much talent as he displayed. Talamo, Rosario, Gutieriez, Alvarado, Ortiz, just to name a few, and Ramon is probably ly better than all the above mentioned. I wish him the best and maybe in the future he can get back in the saddle.

I feel bad he has to retire but think of all the other retired jockeys who go around in wheel chairs and are paralyzed. All the jockeys risk their lives every time they climb on top of a horse.

No,but I wish him the best and I will miss Ramon. I watch the races every weekend and I admired him.

not really. its a shame he has to retire, but that is part of the game. i hope he continues to recover and one day can get back in the game somehow.

No, but it is sad that he retired :(

GOOD RIDDANCE,SO MANY BETS LOSS ON HIS MOUNTS.