Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 7 years ago

how harmful are mosquitoes to tortoises?

I have my sulcata torts outside in my tort box, it is 4'x5'x1.5' and they've been staying outside day and night as the temps have become appropriate this week. When I go out in the evenings to water my plants/garden I am getting ATE UP by mosquitoes. What are the effects of these blood suckers on my little tortoises? Do they even bite them? If so are diseases transferable, such as west nile or heart worms (as they're transferred to dogs)? Just curious!

It is possible for mosquitoes to go after reptiles, but they generally prefer mammals which have thinner skin and usually a more nutrient-rich diet that makes their blood more appealing as far as the nutritional needs go for the insects. There haven't been a lot of studies done on the transmission of diseases through reptiles from mosquitoes, but I would warrant that most parasites which would survive in the tortoises would not be transferable to humans simply because the internal workings of a reptile are very different than that of a mammal. I would be careful, but this definitely isn't a widespread issue in the reptile community.

• Dion J

Mosquitoes do not bite tortoises or other cold-blooded animals.

Your tortoises will be fine.