Mongoloid asked in SportsMartial Arts · 7 years ago

Just got done posting a question about MMA now why is TKD not effective?

People say it suck today to be in MMA WTF its like TKD is the badest art why is it

i seen people get hurt fighting TKD

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Kokoro
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

there are a number of tkd fighters in mma including but not limited to Bas Rutten, Cung Le, Mirko Filipovic, Ben Henderson, Dan Hardy, Stephan Bonnar, Anthony Pettis, and Anderson Silva.

some people are in denial of the truth

tkd is effective its the person that makes the difference not the style. a style is nothing more then a tool, what mtters is how you train not what you train.

you can find videos of any style vs any style defeating that style on youtube. and then find the reverse as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3S91YOLP90

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jM29ghBfWU

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL9ZXos8LfQ

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL6z9SALAJo

Youtube thumbnail

here we go tkd beats mma fighter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH2gfT_FuOk

Youtube thumbnail

its the fighter not the style

as for anderson silvia training muay thai ,that that is the dumbest thing i ever heard, since he started tkd at the age of 12 and received his black belt at the age of 18 in tkd.

he trained several styles including capoeira, judo, bjj, muay thai, tkd, aikido, boxing and holds ranks in several of them. some people like kyle can't read

Source(s): 30+yrs ma
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

It is easy to get a Black Belt in TKD. A lot of people just get handed TKD Black Belts after 2 years of training.

I watched a TKD green belt girl embarrass a TKD black belt guy...The girl had been training for 2 years and the guy 3 years. If that girl went into MMA as a black belt in TKD and had some ground game she would probably do good. The guy, not so much.

Anderson Silva is the best example of a great TKD Black Belt in MMA but he also does Muay Thai Kick Boxing, Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, Judo etc.

You cannot simply learn one art and expect to do well in MMA. You must be able to strike, wrestle and have some sort of grappling.

• possum
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

What do you mean "not effective"?

I read in another answer here that someone is saying that a TKD guy with no experience other than hard-core WTF won't stand a chance against a jujitsu fighter because he's got no grappling experience. That answer, and your question, suggest that both of you don't understand the rules of both millieu: In WTF TKD, there is no grappling in the ring. And in jujitsu, they do a lot of focus on the grappling aspects. Good for both of them. But if you are going to pit them against each other, what rules are you going to make available to them so that the fight is equally fair to both, what criteria would you use to declare a winner, who will make the subjective judgement calls, and for what purpose would you be doing this?

Getting back to "not effective" thing, I have a couple of questions for you:

1) would you conclude that after this fight, would you declare one or the other ineffective?

2) What if the match was a close result?

3) What if the match were decided by points only, but could change with the addition of more judges?

4) What if the judges presiding over the fight declared one the winner, but, a panel of judges having benefit of alternative angles and instant replay, say the other fighter was the winner?

5) What if both fighters were really crappy fighters?

6) What if one fighter was caught doping?

7) What if both were caught doping?

8) What if doping were allowed and both wontonly used steroids or other drugs?

• 7 years ago

TKD can go both ways, it depends on both the teacher and the student. I've known people from TKD mcdojo's who are legitimately great martial artists, they acknowledge their schools sucks, but have personally achieved high levels of skills despite their school being a black belt factory, in fact one of them has more skill than most black belts I know but doesn't have a black belt because it doesn't solely depend on skill in their school, so he decided not to bother with the ranking.

On the flipside, TKD is pretty infamous for being a cash cow that has a lot of terrible schools that are worthless. I've known other TKD black belts that I could easily beat without personally training in a long long time.

TKD can be effective, if taught right and learned well, but sadly it doesn't have that reputation because it has a lot of bad schools that give it a bad name.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jack
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

TKD can be a good art if taught and trained correctly. The problem is that there are A LOT and I mean A LOT of McDojos within TKD. You can read and you see examples of 10 year old holding black belts. I mean that's just ridiculous. Of course people look down at it.

• 7 years ago

I hear that a lot, here is a highlight video of TKD in various sports. TKD can excel in MMA under their rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28jXeTm7kTA

Youtube thumbnail

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

There is not one person on the YA answers section who can prove to me, by even a single video TKD fighters go full contact allowing punches to the face without head guards, or allowing knees or elbows, tkd is one of the most watered down tapping festivals known to man, 99% of the people who do TKD are so soft they probably cry when they trip and fall on the pavement!

As for Anderson Silva being classes as a TKD fighter, well that's just the dumbest thing I've ever read but people KEEP on putting it, Silva started muaythai at 16 and 'settled on it' he is also known for his devastating clinch work, knees, elbows and boxing NONE of which are found in TKD gyms, his kicks are muay thai style kicks, he doesn't do snap kicks he does roundkicks like a Thai fighter.

Look it up in the link and in others, he's a muay thai and boxing fighter when it comes to stand up, he even competed in pro boxing, his ground game is bjj and he has a black belt in tkd cos they hand em out for being able to do fancy kicks on pads! yet most of his shots don't involve a spin or jump as he uses neither of those rubbish arts in the cage/ring,

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.