Does the bridge on an acoustic guitar need to be raised?

On all the acoustic guitars I've seen the bridge is always on a piece about half an inch above the guitar, but does it need to be that way? Can the bridge lay flat against the guitar?

• Tony B
    Favorite Answer

There are different types of acoustic guitar but if you mean a "common" nylon string or steel string flat top guitar the bridge has to be glued to the top and the strings are attached to it. The white, often plastic, saddle lies in a slot on the top pf the bridge and I guess it is usually about half an inch above the top of the guitar.

Almost anything is possible and I suppose a guitar could be designed with the bottom of the saddle level with the top of the guitar - maybe it could be set directly into the top. A new method of attaching the strings could be found and a way of setting the neck further into the body to allow the top of the fingerboard to be level with the top could be developed. I don't think anyone would want to do this though as the present designs work fine. Making these changes would cause problems and would result in a guitar that felt and sounded different (probably not as good) and there would be no advantages that I can see..

• Dan

The bridge allows the strings to vibrate.