How can I insure that a start up company will hire me?

I am working with a several people and we are developing a company. We are pretty much work for free at the moment as we are a start up but the business is growing rapidly and salaries are coming very soon. The other members have invested money and I was brought on as the Marketing Director. Although I trust my... show more I am working with a several people and we are developing a company. We are pretty much work for free at the moment as we are a start up but the business is growing rapidly and salaries are coming very soon. The other members have invested money and I was brought on as the Marketing Director.

Although I trust my team, I want to know if there is a way to legally insure that I will be hired (start receiving a pay check!) and that they won't suddenly give me the boot (!) I have their "word" that I am an essential part of the team, but does someone's word still matter these days?!

I've been burned before by start ups and I guess I'd just like to protect myself this time.