Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

How can I get into witchcraft/tarot reading etc?

Please excuse me on my lack of intricate knowledge on these subjects, however they have been interesting me for about six months. I have enjoyed researching Wicca, spells, tarot cards and such and the peace and calm that seems associated with Wicca. However, I have not tried anything because I am very novice in this area. If someone could please tell me the basics and/or where/who I can go to to learn these, I would be very appreciative.

Best Answer

I would suggest you check out the Grey School of Wizardry at http://www.greyschool.com/. It's not specifically Wicca oriented, but it's a really great place to learn about magick, witchcraft and wizardry. Think of it as a real-life (online only) Hogwarts school. It is online only, but there are a lot of fantastic classes to learn from. These classes range from Lore, Divination, Ceremonial Magick, Nature Studies, Healing, Wortcunning, Cosmology, and much more!

However, be advised that this isn't just a "hang-out." It's a serious school about learning REAL magick, not the made up kind like casting a Patronus Charm in Harry Potter, and it's all taught by respected and experienced pagans, wizards and witches of our time. There is an annual fee that is very minimum, but the cost is so low that it's a steal considering the amount that you learn. It's a really amazing place that is packed full of knowledge and people ready to help.

If you're hesitant about enrolling into such a school, which I should mention has no affiliation with religion and focuses purely on wizardry and magick, I suggest that you check out the Grimoire for the Apprentice Wizard written by Oberon Zell-Ravenheart (who happens to be the Grey School's Headmaster.)

Source(s): Student at the Grey School of Wizardry. http://www.greyschool.com/

Hello; I just want to point something out because as you said, you're still learning on these subjects.

Wicca is not synonymous with Witchcraft. They can go hand in hand or be mutually exclusive.

Wicca is a religion-- it's not about spells, or tarot cards, or crystals or psychic abilities or ouija boards, etc. etc... these are simply allowed, but not the focus; you can be Wiccan your entire life and never touch any of those things. They're not from Wicca, or integral to Wicca.

Wicca, like any other religion, is about how you worship your Gods and how you live your life.

So I'm not sure what you're looking for the basics on-- the religion Wicca, or Witchcraft, spells, divination, magic and other topics.

If you're looking for the religion of Wicca, a good website with a good reading list is wicca.cnbeyer.com.

The other things would be better to just look up specific sites, but with Witchcraft it's best to stay away from sites that offer spells and look for sites that offer actual training-- philosophy, mental discipline exercises, etc.

Tarot has very little connection to Witchcraft or Wicca, but you can learn a lot about it over at a decent forum board (not YahooAnswers, especially the religious section, the intolerance is huge here). Google Aeclectic Tarot and click on 'forum', sign up (you only need to sign in once, it remembers your password unless you clear out your cookies and passwords on your machine). The forum is friendly and people are extremely helpful.

As for the Craft, figure out which you actually are looking at. A religion, or the practice of the craft. Both are seperate issues. The site www.witchvox.com is excellent and very extensive. Book-wise look for ones written by Scott Cunningham, he was well respected in the field and wrote for the common person to understand.

Basics of working in the craft fall into four things -- meditation, shielding, centering and drawing power. A good course would cover all these things since everything else is based on it.

First of all, decide which study you want to pursue first.

Wicca and witchcraft are not the same thing. Wicca is a religion. Witchcraft is a set of skills, quite literally a craft, that can be practiced within any religion or with no religion at all.

Spellcraft is one of a number of practices that falls under the category of witchcraft.

Tarot reading is basically a psychological self-help tool.

Either witchcraft or tarot is going to take you quite a bit of study and practice to learn and become adept at.

For witchcraft, I'd say start with this book for the foundations and go from there. The author's spirituality leans toward Wicca, but the exercises and whatnot to begin learning the craft itself can be tweaked to fit your personal spiritual beliefs if necessary:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Inner-Temple-Witchcraft-...

Another book I liked was this one: http://www.amazon.com/Witch-Alone-New-Thirteen-Nat...

For Tarot, I'd recommend starting with some version of the Rider Waite deck and working through the info and exercises in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1934976296

And if it's actually the religion of Wicca you're most interested in, I would suggest reading thoroughly through this site and then check out the "books" section for further recommended reading.

http://wicca.cnbeyer.com/wicca101/

Once you've got some of the basics of whichever practice you're interested in down and are sure it is something you wish to pursue in depth, you might find it easier to meet some real-life mentors who may later help you with more advanced studies & practices.

Eh, just buy a book. There's probably a gazillion or so out there. I think it's a huge waste of time, but if you think it's fun, go ahead.

To be successful at that, you will need to be a better con than the others.

That whole thing, along with the religious cults is just a con game.

• ?

Hang around with some teenage girls that wear too much makeup