King
King asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 7 years ago

english to latin translation?

i need the phrase: "save me from myself, for i know not what i do" translated into latin. recently, someone translated it as: "Salva me a meipso, quia nescio quid faciam" which is pretty much on the dot but from what ive read it seems to be in the feminine and i am a man. from what ive seen, replacing "salva" with "salvum" would solve that but im not sure about the rest. i know "meipso" is masculine but im not sure abut "quia" and the rest. if anyone can solve this problem for me i would appreciate it greatly. thanks a bunch and cheers!

Best Answer

Slava me a me ipso non enim scio quid facio

Salva is correct, it is the imperative form of the verb and does not show gender. "Salva me a me ipso" (Make sure there is a space between "me" and "ipso", they are separate words. Also note, ipsO, not ipsE, for masculine singular ablative.

The second part is understandable, but I would suggest some changes. Presumably what you want to say is modeled off of "forgive them for they know not what they do." In this case, you would use "enim" instead of "quia" (quia is not wrong, but it is not what is used in the Latin bible. enim is post-positive, so it won't be the first word in the clause.) "nescio" is OK, but again you loose the literary allusion; instead you want non scio. Also, you want "facio," which is the first person present tense. "faciam" is either the subjunctive or the future, neither of which you want. So, complete, you would want to say:

Source(s): M.A. in medieval studies
  • Tom L

Take what you have - it's masculine. To change to feminine, use 'meipsa.' None of the other words have gender.

Quia is a conjunction - there is no gender.

Salva is a verb form - again, no gender.

ADDED:

The question had to do with gender and did not request a revision. There are several ways to translate that into Latin. I would not have used what you have, but there is no problem with it and it requires no change. To address just one point: ‘Me’ and ‘ipso/ipsa’ are indeed two words. But just as English combines ‘can’ and ‘not’ into ‘cannot,’ Latin frequently combined a pronoun (me, te, etc.) with the proper form of ‘ipse’ to get single words such as meipso and meipsa.

Non possum ego a meipso facere quidquam – Vulgate, John 5:30

Teste meipso – Legal term still used today.

Fratrem suum dein seiipsum - Tacitus

Per meipsum redire possum. - St. Augustine