Samir asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 7 years ago

Is Chechnya Good or Bad?

What I mean by this question is does Chechnya deserve to be part of the Russian Federation or should it be independent. Because it seems the media always portrays it as some Islamic terrorist spot, but Russia did invade Chechnya in the 1800s and the Chechens fought for independence. The Chechens were also treated very badly during the soviet eras too, so they obviously have been abused by Russia in the past. I know that several terrorist attacks have been made by Chechens but that was only made by the Islamic extremists. So what I'm asking is does Chechnya deserve their independence or is Russia doing a good thing keeping the part of the federation. Also, if Chechnya did become independent, would it become a safe, well governed and free country (like Georgia or Azerbaijan) or would it become like Taliban run Afghanistan? I don't mean to offended anyone Chechen or muslim, I just want too know is chechnya better independent or belonging to russia

• Oirdne
    Favorite Answer

1. does Chechnya deserve to be part of the Russian Federation? - No. Why - tribal mentality of those who make decisions there and who do not know what "law", cooperation" etc... are.

2. should it be independent. - unfortunately also no. - Why - besides 95% of Chechens, there are 5% of other people there. They will be exterminated if it becomes independent. Plus position of women, pretty sad now, will become only worse. I believe 50% of the population of this republic deserve to have at least small chances to be more or less free.

3. if Chechnya did become independent, would it become a safe, well governed and free country - read about ideology of sharia laws - there is no anything about freedom, safety for everybody (again, remember about women and small girls) there.

Remember, that it would be surrounded by Russia from ALL the sides.

Also remember, it is not about Chechnya AT ALL (you can put name of ANY republic on North Caucasus here). The idea is not about freedom of one republic, but about creation of Islamic state on the terr. of the WHOLE Caucasus (yes, Christian Georgians you mentioned do not have space on that map together with many other ethnic groups). They do not hide that there are "pure" Caucasian nations, and there are others who deserve to be as smallest deported and as maximum exterminated (sounds familiar, right?).

It is not about freedom, safety and prosperity of ordinary people (even if they will pass exam of ethnic "cleanness") - it is about power of FEW with help of oppression and religious justification of the most terrible things in understanding of humanity.

I don't mean to offend anyone either. I dream about the day when Caucasus will become a place, which was described in Soviet posters about summer vacations: hospitable people, great food, perfect climate and nature and peaceful coexistence of everybody who feels that he/she belongs to that place.

Good.

"does Chechnya deserve to be part of the Russian Federation or should it be independent"

Clearly, you are ignorant of history and reality.