Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 8 years ago

Are amnesias in movies portrayed correctly?

So many characters in movies and tv shows hit their head or have a soul-crushing psychological trauma and cease to remember where they are, who they are, and cannot recognize their own family. If they manage to forget their own name, how come they speak perfectly? And have not forgotten how to behave around other people? Doesn't make any sense...

Favorite Answer

may 33rd a drama about multiple personality disorder (which is my own diagnosis) was accurately portrayed so I imagine that the filmmakers take good advice - some parts are filmic devices otherwise we wouldnt get the story line so a bit of poetic licence but damaged minds are capable of all sorts of weirdness- I had soul crushing trauma and have been dissociating all my life but very few people are actually aware of it - i dont stand out in a crowd that often.