Any fluent piano players? I need help!?

I have some question, I'm 16 and i really want to take the time to learn how to play.

How long does it take to be fluent? Sheet music and all? (I'm REALLY good with my hands and im really coordinated)

What's the quickest way to learn?

Is there a way I can learn without having to pay for a teacher?

• Favorite Answer

Of course! But once you really start using your hands together you might think you are terribly coordinated.

By "fluent" I presume you mean that you can sight-read (meaning reading for the first time) most simple pop music and classical scores with a note density of less than 10 per second, and black-key density of less than 2 per second.

That will take between 2-infinity years depending on your "talent", presuming you devote at least 1 hour per day to practising.

The quickest way to learn is to practise everyday and don't skip a single day without practising, and to not mind repeating the same action 100 times even if you are bored to death.

You can learn the basics through googling online piano lesson videos and youtube, but I doubt you can become "fluent" without formal training by a good teacher.

There is no "quick" and "easy" way to learn. It's just like learning a new language. You just can't become fluent in Swahili unless you speak it every day for years on end. Same thing. Sheet music reading is a new language. Treat it as such.

Source(s): I can play the complete Chopin Etudes up to speed.

I've learned from all these responses that there is a huge range in what people believe "fluency" to be. I studied Japanese on my own for years, two years formally in college, lived and worked in Japan for 7 years, am married to a Japanese man, co-authored an English conversation textbook which still sells pretty well in Japan after 10 years on the market, have 2 kids in Japanese Saturday school doing the full public school curriculum, and consult Japanese transfer families several hours a day in their language. I can say almost anything I want to say in Japanese, and understand most conversations if they don't get too obscure or academic. Most of my Japanese friends would say I am "fluent". I still wouldn't feel comfortable saying that I am, because the more fluent I become, the more aware I am of the potential for further developing my Japanese ability. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry at some of the responses you got from people who say they have a friend who is fluent (how do they know?) or that they became fluent in a matter of months. I thought I was doing pretty darn well after my first two years, but when I listen now to a radio interview I did then, I can only cringe. Don't worry about when you will become fluent. No one can tell you that. Just have a lot of fun along the way. Study in ways that are interesting enough to keep you motivated. Sometimes for me that meant doing a language exchange, at others practicing karaoke songs, or even going to a new Japanese restaurant every night. Actually I made the most progress in terms of proficiency while 1) working at a Japanese company in the US, and 2) having babies in Japan. It's been a fun ride, but I wouldn't recommend either of those as a real efficient strategy. Generally Japanese people will appreciate any effort you make to learn their language. And every bit that you learn will open up your world a little more. Have fun!!! PS: I don't know why the previous responders said this with such confidence, but Japanese is NOT tonal.

It depends on many, many factors, including (most importantly) what you consider "fluency". I've been playing for 14 years, and I've graduated from college with a degree in music, and I don't think I would fall under the category of "fluent". I tend to think that if you at any point consider yourself "good enough" or "fluent", and don't have room for improvement, then you aren't doing it right. And the quickest way to learn is to get a teacher. Without one, you seriously risk developing horrible habits which could be extremely difficult to un-learn.

Don't worry about how long it will take. The proper answer is "the rest of your life". Just enjoy it!

oh it takes years, depending on what age you start

im not even a fluent piano player.

You have to practice your fingers and not only that but you need to understand how a piece is, when it modulates, etc..

If you're really dedicated it should take just a few years