Summer Reading Suggestions?

I've spent the last six years reading nothing but old literature- the kind of book that the AP english lists will tell you to read, the kind of book that has been acclaimed as a masterpiece for multiple centuries- in short, nothing from this era. I love literature, I love great writing, but to remain so narrow minded as to only read the "classics" would be rather ignorant, not to mention being borderline elitist. If you are still reading this, then I thank you. I've read some of Cormac Mcarthy's work, and I'm looking for just that sort of thing. Not the sort of book generally written for high school students. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Not only in the realm of literature/fiction, but if anyone knows some great sci-fi (orson scott Card is one of my favorites), drama, or poetry to be read that'd be cool too. No suggestion will go unnoticed!

• Rose D
    Favorite Answer

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo

Dune by Frank Herbert

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A Heinlein

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (follow up with American Gods and Anansi Boys if you like it)

We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard

11/22/63 by Stephen King

The Passage by Justin Cronin

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Neuromancer by William Gibson

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

A Plague of Angels by Sheri S Tepper

World War Z by Max Brooks

The Truth by Terry Pratchett (or any Discworld novel)

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Dune by Frank Herbert

Entering Tenebrea by Roxann Dawson

The Pawn of Prophesy by David Eddings

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

Freedoms Landing by Ann McCaffrey

• John A

You of course realize where you are posting? Your well crafted question indicates an intelligence level well above average which really has no place in Yahoo Answers. Then again you may get lucky...

You also need more information for someone to recommend something on the off chance they are able. ie. how old are you, sex, what have you read so far you are sick of? ie. Russian? English? etc.