? asked in 社會及文化語言 · 8 years ago

English problem ~ HELP!

Question 1 ~ I want to ask what is the best meaning of 'die out'

A. disappear

B. declined

The word is come from a magazine article which is about the endangered species - bluefin tuna.

However, I saw this word again in my L.S. worksheet too.

The whole sentence : The global vogue for the internet and technology enterprises died out.

However, if the word means disappear ,it must be impossible for the enterprises to disappear.

Question 2 ~ Please help me to find the mistake in the sentence.

*There is one mistake only in the sentence.*

Let me tell you about my life here in Hong Kong. I live in a place call Shai Tin.

Question 3 :

Is it possible to write :

... Conservation purpose ..... ? (There is two noun link together)

Please answer me as soon as possible. Thank you very much !

Rating
    Favorite Answer

Three English questions

'Disappear' is the meaning of 'die out' that can be used for the endangered species if bluefin tuna.

The meaning of 'died out' in "The global vogue for the internet and technology enterprises died out" is "disappeared". Here 'vogue' means " a period of general or popular usage or favour" It is the global vogue(period of popularity) that disappeared, not the enterprises.

Question 2 The one mistake in the sentences"Let me tell you about my life here in Hong Kong. I live in a place call Sha Tin."is 'call'. It should be 'called'.

Question 3 :

It is grammatically correct to write : ... Conservation purpose ..... ?

The first word 'Conservation' functions as an adjective to describe the noun 'purpose'.

There are many other examples:

Hong Kong Island

Kowloon Peninsula

Education institutes

English problem

2013-06-10 16:52:04 補充:

Correction:

'Disappear' is the meaning of 'die out' that can be used for the endangered species if bluefin tuna.----> 'Disappear' is the meaning of 'die out' that can be used for the endangered species of blue fin tuna.

2013-06-11 14:37:01 補充:

For Question 1, although 'disappear' and not 'declined' is the correct meaning of "die out", 'become extinct' can also mean 'die out' as in the dictionary defintion:

To cease living completely; become extinct

2013-06-11 14:39:07 補充:

'Extinct' is an adjective and not a verb. "Become extinct" should be used for the meaning of die out instead.

I think the best meaning of 'die out' would be “EXTINCT.” Disappear is closer to the true meaning than declined though.The whole sentence : The global vogue for the Internet and Technology enterprises had died out.(Internet and Technology should be capitalized for the first letter. Since they are died out already, “had” needs to be added to the sentence).However, if the word means disappear ,it must be impossible for the enterprises to disappear.I would rephrase the above sentence as follows:It must be impossible for the Enterprises to become abolished.Question 2 ~ Please help me to find the mistake in the sentence.*There is one mistake only in the sentence.*Let me tell you about my life in Hong Kong. I live in a place called Sha Tin. Question 3 :Is it possible to write :... Conservation purpose ..... ? (There is two noun link together)I would start by saying: The purpose of this conversation is …….

Question1. actually in english some vocabularies have two or more meanings, "die out" can means disappear or outdated.

Question 2. Let me tell you about my life here in Hong Kong. I live in a place call Sha Tin.

Question 3. you can't join 2 nouns together, just conservation is enough

Source(s): me