How long do you have to move to USA once you get your green card?

Been waiting since 2008 since my I-140 was been approved. My lawyer will be filing for adjustment of status next year some time. I assume that once the green card is actually issued you have a certain length of time before you actually have to establish US residence. I heard it was six months. Can someone please... show more Been waiting since 2008 since my I-140 was been approved. My lawyer will be filing for adjustment of status next year some time. I assume that once the green card is actually issued you have a certain length of time before you actually have to establish US residence. I heard it was six months. Can someone please confirm this for me.

I would also want confirmation whether once you get your green card, you are considered just another American worker. In case when I move there after 3-4 months and if the job for which my PERM was granted and the I-140 issued has evaporated. That I would be free to take one of the several other opportunities I have been offered.

Everything is legal and on the up and up. I was in the US on an H-1B but had to return to Canada in 2010 to care for an elderly parent. Everything will be done through a reputable law firm. But I am hoping to get some clarity here to avoid running up the legal bill.