What's in the hole in my backyard?

I live in a 1910 house and my backyard has some hole in it. The ground is a little caved in too. Me and my dog were looking at it and my dog started smelling something so I started digging. So did my dog. I then pulled on the red bailing twine. It started pulling then stopped. I digged with my hands and felt something smooth and very solid. My dog keeps laying by it and digging does anyone know what it could be? Please help!

Favorite Answer

A house from 1910. A hole in the back yard. Slight depression in the ground. It sounds like you may have found the house well. Most houses during the late 1800's and early 1900's had a dug well as most places did not have access to a city water supply. As these wells went dry or pumps and city water became available these were filled in with trash and debris. As time went by they became covered over with leaves, tree limbs, steel covers filled with dirt or whatever happened to be available at the location. Some people make a very good living excavating these dug wells and gathering the glass bottles, old discarded tools and other things that have survived through the years and selling them to collectors. The red twine could be from more recent times; bales of hay maybe. It could be wrapped around a buried tree limb or a root. The smooth surface you felt may have been a glass jar or bottle. You do need to be careful, though. There may be rusty metal or broken glass included. Those can give some nasty cuts and would require a hospital visit for a tetanus booster, at the very least.

Another possibility (which was also filled in with anything needing disposal) is the hole left from their outhouse, which was a requirement at houses without running water and indoor plumbing...even in town. These require even more caution because the cuts and scrapes received during the excavation of them can lead to even worse infections and health risks.

Good luck and enjoy!

Get away from that! Especially if it's a box. If you find that it is some type of container or something with a lid, door, seal, etc. DO NOT OPEN IT. It is most likely an inter-dimensional gateway to another universe. These were very commonly built in the early 1900's. They were distributed by an anonymous inventor, who thought that with radioactive element he could create a path to another universe. Many historians have found these but have had to keep them secret because the government had too many concerns. So far, none of these gateways were successful; those few historians that found them often tested them and were burned to death by radiation and other flaws of these gateways. They are very hard to find and have mostly been found and covered up. I suggest that you re-bury it right away and forget about it. Don't let your dog lay on it too long or else it could get radiation poisoning.

I would need more info to narrow it down. It could be some type of chest, artillery shell, a weird rock,

The twine is strange. Why not just dig it up?

The soil is beginning to compact itself naturally, some thing lies beneath , could be a body or could be an abandoned out house, or could be the trash dump site. The water may have found its way to to a natural gully somewhere, maybe a break in the sespool line ect. stay away unless you know the soil is stable otherwise it may collapse.

• Keep an eye out for a frantic white rabbit, with a pocket watch.. If you see him, follow him down the hole. It's most likely the hole that will take you to wonderland.

The Gate

keep digging, you might be featured on the news for finding treasure in your backyard

• Kim R

Snake, gopher, badger, mole, vole? Hard to say from this info. Run a hose in it and flush it out with water if you can.

Onwards! Could b treasure

Source(s): LOL

dead body? or Maybe someones family pet that was buried cos it passed away, i would check old crime records and new papers for unsolved missing people you might have a rime scene on your hand or and old burial site you should check antique maps