Kent asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 7 years ago

I upgraded to Windows 8 from 7, and I want to get an SSD and transfer the license. How do I do that?

Favorite Answer

I honestly recommend just doing a clean install of Windows 8 on to the SSD. You can use the upgrade version of 8 to do a clean install.

Download a copy from this link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgra...

That setup file will download the Windows 8 ISO and give you the option of creating install media on either a DVD or USB stick. Boot from the install media and do a clean install of Windows 8 on your SSD.

It might complain if you use an upgrade key so here's how you fix it. Once you get Windows 8 installed the key might not activate the OS. All you have to do is put in your Windows 8 install media while you're signed into Windows. Run the installer again and choose to do an upgrade install. Windows 8 will activate after.

- Dominic

Use Acronis to make an image of your HDD now and when you restore to the new SDD, all licences will transfer automatically

ps. And I agreed with Sundi's comment..