Why do Christians think the 3 wise men visited Jesus in a manger ? Are Nativity seens just plain wrong ?

Matthew 2:11 New International Version

On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh

All bibles say house in Matthew 2:11.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

What make you think there were 3 "wise men"?

But yes, Nativity representations are all wrong for a number of reasons, and always have been.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

Matthew never mentions a manger and never mentions a journey from Nazareth. In fact, Matthew mentions Nazareth only when Joseph, upon returning from Egypt, fears to live in Archelaus' territory, and decides to go to Galilee on an angel's warning. The implication is that Bethlehem is Joseph's home, and the couple were living there when Jesus was born.

Luke, on the other hand, says quite distinctly that the couple never goes to Egypt. During Mary's period of purification they remain near Jerusalem, presumably in Bethlehem; after Jesus is presented at the temple, they go at once to Nazareth.

We can't have contradictions, so Christian tradition has fused the stories, ignoring the little discrepancies. But the written text retains them.

• 7 years ago

The story of the manger was in Luke.

The story of the wise men was in Matthew.

There are two completely different nativity stories in those two gospels. but since Christians have been trained to believe that every word of the Bible is true they universally conflate them into one, even though the details are incompatible.

• 7 years ago

3 gifts presented but the number of wise men is not given.

just like many other parts of the bible are misinterpreted by the world's churches - so is this portion.

for example Jesus said He never came to do away with the law (matthew 5.17-20) but rather came to leave no excuse for sin (john 15.22 / 1 john 3.4) yet this world's churches claim otherwise

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Jesus was about 2 years old when they got there. Which is why Herod had babies 2 and under killed.

They started out when he was born, but took them a while to get there.

• Magpie
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

The Bible doesn't give a number. The number is deduced from the number of gifts presented, but this doesn't imply how many there were.

• 7 years ago

You do realise their is no such thing as the 3 wise men, and there is also no such thing as the jesus you are talking about, because that story was stolen from roman mythology and changed immensly to fit the christian faith, so yes, nativity plays are plain wrong and are just making light of fairytales

• ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Man, you are RIGHT! I was prepared to show you a bible version that used another word other than "house" but can't find ANY.

• 7 years ago

The Bible wasn't written in English and translation is not an exact science.

Besides, I don't see what difference it makes. Maybe the story is meant to be symbolic.

I know of things that happened just recently and the people who were there can't agree on the details.

• 7 years ago

I don't know, my Christmas decorations show Jesus in a manger, so I'll have to go with that..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.