How do you say "they came into power" in French?
- Anonymous7 years agoFavorite Answer
The closest rendering, according to Harraps French dictionary, is:
ils sont arrivés au pouvoir = they came into power (literally: they arrived at power)
Here are some examples of the phrase from Linguee, the professional translators' website:
1. Lorsque les conservateurs sont arrivés au pouvoir, le coussin a presque complètement disparu = When the Conservatives came to power, the cushion virtually completely disappeared
2. Les libéraux sont arrivés au pouvoir en 1993 et, si je ne m'abuse, à la veille des élections ils se sont soudain aperçu qu'il fallait adopter une telle loi. = The Liberals came to power in 1993, and if I am not mistaken, on the eve of an election suddenly wakened to the fact that we needed to have such legislation in place.
3. Il faut reconnaître, en toute justice, que la Colombie traversait une période difficile lorsque le président Gaviria et son gouvernement sont arrivés au pouvoir = In fairness, President Gaviria and his government came to power at a difficult time for Colombia.
4. 1933-39 : Les nazis sont arrivés au pouvoir et de nombreux Juifs ont décidé de quitter l'Allemagne = 1933-39: The Nazis have come to power, and many Jews have decided to leave Germany.
The phrase "ils ont pris le pouvoir" means, according to the same authoritative Harraps bilingual dictionary, "they assumed power" or "they took office", which suggests a more active adoption of power (prendre = to take) than the inheritance of power as a consequence, say, of achieving a majority vote in an election (arriver à = to come to, to arrive at).Source(s): Studied and taught French.
- Anonymous5 years ago
Juden are chosen people by Satan to lead people to the antichrist. Note that they themselves will not receive mark of the beast, but they want you to receive it. How Juden of them? Juden made up Islam to fight Christians. That's why these two religions are similar. Pork is forbidden. Circumcision is mandatory. Praying is done head down. Praying head down is devil worship according to Orthodoxy. Animals are ritualistically killed for 30 minutes. Hence, Kosher = Halal. Concerning homosexuality, Old Testament law is followed. Forgive me for being rude, but that's what I was taught. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S8QQOlrq5g
Ever heard of Scido amafreikis? It's hard-boiled egg sprinkled with ashes from a cloth soaked in Christian blood. That's what they eat. The rest of Christian remains is given to Mcdonalds.
- Anonymous7 years ago
ils ont pris le pouvoir