Emily
Emily asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 7 years ago

What do you think when you see a fat person working out?

I'm currently 201 and I'm 5'5". I know I'm fat... I've already lost 50 lbs, but still have a ways to go, obviously. But I joined a 24-hour gym when I started losing weight so I could workout at 3am so no one could see me. All the other times, I workout from home. I'm terrified of judging looks and such since I have Social Phobia. But I'm tired of going at that time. Seriously... I should be asleep.

I know I'm just gonna have to work through my fear of people and I am, but what do you think when you see a fat person at the gym? Be honest, please. I'm trying to decide if it's safe for me to go at normal times yet or not.

*Please don't say, "It doesn't matter what people think." I know in my head it doesn't, and I've tried it once before and I ended up leaving before I even really got started because I was having a panic attack. It's something I'm working on, but it takes time.

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

I don't think about it that much.

When I first see someone that looks different, I look briefly but then I just focus on my own workout. It's not really any of my business why someone else is there. I like working out in a gym where all body types are represented. It relaxes me and I get less self conscious than I would if everyone there was a model.

No matter what times you choose to go, it's really admirable that you are challenging your fears and doing what you want to do. I've always thought that working out, running etc is more of a challenge for the mind that it is for the body. It builds character when you refuse to stop until you've reached the top of that hill.

If you have already done this much and you're thinking of stepping up the difficulty level by going during the day, that's amazing and it's much stronger than those who just go with the flow. When you overcome these challenges you'll have a lot of experience in overcoming obstacles, and you'll be better equipped to handle life than most of us are.

You are probably more of an inspiration to others than you realize.

I actually really admire them. It takes confidence and dedication for anyone to work out, especially when they're overweight. And the fact that they can do it at the gym is even more impressive.

Start working out at regular times, people at the gym aren't judgmental because everyone is there for the same reason! Plus if you work out in the mornings, your metabolism gets going and you can lose weight faster.

Whenever I see a larger person working out I admire their strength to do so in a public area and I praise them for taking control of their lives by trying to lose the weight.

I think "good for them"

I think this could be a good opportunity to confront your fear of what people think

This feeling won't go away by itself within time or once you get older if you don't confront it

Go to the gym during the day with pride that you're doing something good for yourself

I think that its great that a fat person is working out. Maybe encourage that person. Encouragement puts smile on faces :) Everyone must make an effort for themselves. Your body is a temple, meaning we must care for and take care of it.

• Jon

I don't think anything lol... much better to see a fat person working out than a fat person sitting on their *** watching TV

Proud of them for making the effort to take better care of themselves. GO GO GO !!!!!