promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Chris asked in SportsBaseball · 7 years ago

Is Gary Sheffield a future Hall of Famer?

or because he used steroids and was in the Mitchell Report, does that keep him out?

Born: November 18, 1968 (age 44)

Tampa, Florida

Batted: Right Threw: Right

MLB debut

September 15, 1988 for the Milwaukee Brewers

Last MLB appearance

September 30, 2009 for the New York Mets

Career statistics

Batting average

Home runs

Hits

Runs batted in

Teams

Milwaukee Brewers (1988–1991)

San Diego Padres (1992–1993)

Florida Marlins (1993–1998)

Los Angeles Dodgers (1998–2001)

Atlanta Braves (2002–2003)

New York Yankees (2004–2006)

Detroit Tigers (2007–2008)

New York Mets (2009)

Career highlights and awards

9× All-Star (1992, 1993, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005)

World Series champion (1997)

5× Silver Slugger Award winner (1992, 1996, 2003, 2004, 2005)

1992 NL batting title

1992 NL Comeback Player of the Year

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Steroids equal no.

If, some day, they start electing PED users (and Bonds and Clemens would be the first ones in), then Sheffield probably would get elected.

But, no.

Edit: Hypothetically, if Sheffield's name had never been associated with PEDs, he'd probably get in, but it would take a few years.

His numbers are clearly those of a Hall of Famer- 509 home runs, every eligible player with 500+ home runs is in or still on the ballot; over 1600 runs "and" RBI, every eligible player with "1500" runs "and" RBI is in the Hall or on the ballot, etc. But his general attitude, his accusatory comments about MLB's treatment of African-Americans vs Latinos, being arrested for fighting with the police and resisting arrest (back in 1987, before he made the majors; he was arrested with his uncle, Dwight Gooden; it was very long ago and before he was famous, so they may not remember that), his demanding to be traded from the Dodgers, etc, would certainly cost him votes at first.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

Normally yes. Because it's Sheffield no.

In particular going to the Tigers with 40M owed him and immediately starting to lobby for a raise even though he was underperforming. Then when the Mets did him a favor by signing him allowing him to get his 500th homer, he somehow go them hating him also.

Sheffield has too many negatives to offset his status. In places like Milwaukee, LA, Atlanta, NYC, Detroit, no writers will vote for him.

• 7 years ago

Fangraphs, a leading cite in sabremetrics, has him at 62.5 WAR (win above replacement). the cutoff for the HOF is about 60 WAR so it looks like he should just barely be in the hall, but it will probably come down to the voters view on his personality. So in conclusion my guess is no, but it is a possibility

• 7 years ago

Yes

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

I'm sure he will eventually. His biggest problem has always been his relationship with the media and his teammates. He never really seemed to get along with anyone. Let's not forget too that his name has popped up via PED usage as well.

• Nathan
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

Cant argue with 509 hrs

• 7 years ago

Since he played in "the era" i doubt he will get in, if he does, definitely not a first ballot hall of famer, since guys like Bonds, Sosa and Piazza didn't get in first ballot

• 7 years ago

With or without steroid allegations he would not get my vote.

• 7 years ago

LMAO!!!! Yes! Sheff is 1st ballot HOF inductee......no doubt!

• 7 years ago

I don't think I could vote for him, that is, if I had a vote.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.