Pickles asked in PetsFish · 7 years ago

EMERGENCY Goldfish question?

Okay, so my sister got two goldfish for her birthday yesterday. One died about an hour ago and the other has been swimming around the top of the tank for hours just gulping at the air.

The fish were from walmart. The water is really really cloudy and she just put the cleaning "chemicals" that came with the starter kit about 2 hours ago and the remaining fish has been swimming around the top for the past 3-4 hours. I am really worried about this fish dying. Is it normal for a fish to be doing this and is there anything I can do?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Imagine-Gold-Deluxe-Gold...

This is the type of tank the fish is in.

I am not to sure of what they did before the fish was placed in, but I don't think the cycle process was properly done.

• Em
    Favorite Answer

Goldfish need a far bigger tank than that, emphasis on "tank", they can't live in bowls, and they need heavy filtration as they're pretty dirty fish.

• Ganal

That is a death trap not a tank! Goldfish are large growing, messy fish that are really pond fish as they get 6-14+ inches long. Depending on the type of fish you have they need 30-75+ gallons and a filter rated for twice that. Your bowls water is likely toxic. Goldfish produce waste and ammonia like crazy which unless you have a large tank and a cycled filter will quickly turn a tank unlivable.

I recommend doing 50-75% water changes daily and look into either upgrading, rehoming or returning. If you decide to return you will have to upgrade anyway. No fish can live in a bowl. Even a betta needs 5+ gallons with a filter and heater.

Source(s): I have 24 goldfish and 2 koi in a pond
  • James

Goldfish gulping for air is usually a sign of poor water quality, or simply just needing oxygen. Which with what you had them in it would of been likely to have been poor water quality. Which kind of goldfish where they? Comets? Fancy? Comet goldfish need 75 gallons minimum and need double filtration because of them being messy eaters. Fancy goldfish even need double filtration but only need a 30 gallon aquarium. And also no fish can live in a bowl. Bowls aren't capable of supporting a filter and having very little space for your goldfish to swim.

• celine

Yep, the word bowl says enough, goldfish get huge and are véry messy fish, one single common goldfish needs at least 40G, a fancy goldfish needs at least 75G, so a -4G bowl wont do

Bowls are for cereal, tanks are for fish

A proper cycling takes 4-6 weeks, with a proper filter

Every tank needs a filter, and i guess yours hasn't one, so the fish are burning in their own ammonia rightnow

What kind of goldfish are they? How big is the tank? Fancy goldfish need a 30 gallon tank at least and common varieties basically need ponds. Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? Is it filtered adequately? I would need a little more info to help you.

Source(s): 25 yrs keeping fish

You had to add a chemical that provides the good bacteria called quick start since I think you didn't do the cycle process he might die your only option now is run to a walmart buy something related to aquarium ready or quick star something to remove the chlorine from the water if you don't have a filter or air pump get one get him into a container get all that water out add new water and add the chemical for the bacteria chlorine and stress if there's no air pump or filter get one and get it to work yhey need oxigen in the water if they don't get enough that happen you sould not add a bunch of chemical waiting for the water to just get clean instantly

Source(s): I hope he makes it go fast

The Fish need Air and filter

attempt to scoop out the relax water that has the conditioner in it and placed the fish and the water in a field that can provide it adequate space, ideally a field that hasn't considered any cleansing soap earlier. i do no longer recommend putting the fish in faucet water. Chlorine will burn it. it is going to be ok in there for a quick time, yet i might recommend a minimum of a fifteen or 20 gallon for a black moor.

Oxygen should do the trick.