Can a professor see other webpages that you viewed, while taking on online test?

I have to take an online midterm soon for one of my classes. The professor said to the class "Do not cheat. I'm a tech savvy person, so I have a method of seeing other things you're doing in other windows while taking the test.". I think he's BSing the class, but I want your opinions.

1. I am using my home computer desktop.

2. The website where we take the quiz is on Elms, powered by Canvas.

3. I use Chrome as my browser (not sure if this makes any difference).

My computer, not provided by the school. On my home wifi network.

Favorite Answer

Do you mean you're using a computer supplied by school or you're taking your own to school to do the exam?

If supplied by the school, it will 9 times out of 10 have monitoring software on it. It is not possible for a regular user to bypass the monitoring controls unless you are a level 7 hacker.

If you are using one from home, then you could bypass it by using a VPN type software.

Okay

As you are saying, you are going to use your home computer, on your wifi network. Next thing you will be using a browser to take a test.

If they test requires you to download some software to give the answers, then be wary and don't try to cheat as that software MIGHT have some stuff to keep a check on you.

But but but, if all you need to do is check the answers on a browser, then don't worry about it. They can't do much.

Okay there's one more warning before you think you are free to cheat, if their website uses Java, and if the website asks you to accept some "java" thing (just trying to use simple words) before beginning the test, then you should not cheat since it might happen that they are using Java apps to monitor your tasks.

Anyway, if it doesn't have Java stuff nor any software to be downloaded, then you are fine to do whatever you want, there's no easy way to check on you. At least not that a "tech-savvy" teacher can think of. :)

Source(s): Been an ethical hacker for 6 months

There are some online testing programs that let them know when you go somewhere else, but to my knowledge, (s)he won't be able to see where you go. Not to mention the fact that this would be illegal without your express consent.

I have taken online tests that kicked me out for navigating away, and all I did was close a pop-up! So, I wouldn't believe when he says he can see where, but he most likely can see that you went somewhere else.

Source(s): personal experience

Just to be safe I'd probably use another computer. You're only hurting yourself by cheating.

No he can't, that would be illegal!