Places to see (and a town to stay) between Strasbourg and Brantome (Perigord Vert)?

I'm accompanying my getting-older parents (mid-70s) in France in late September. We'll start in Paris and take the train to Strasbourg to see relatives. From there, I'll rent and drive a car to Brantome (they don't feel comfortable driving, which is why I'm going), where my father's family... show more I'm accompanying my getting-older parents (mid-70s) in France in late September. We'll start in Paris and take the train to Strasbourg to see relatives. From there, I'll rent and drive a car to Brantome (they don't feel comfortable driving, which is why I'm going), where my father's family was hidden in WWII. The drive is definitely a 2-day affair with the parents. Besides the Wine Route south from Strasbourg, are there any sights or towns you'd recommend that we visit?

Any good place to stop for the night that will leave four or less hours of driving the second day? On a map, Moulins seems like a good place to stop for the night. Maybe Paray-le-Monia, Digoin, Montlucon, or somewhere else would be better?

Thanks for your responses.
1 answer 1