Why do people still fly the Confederate Flag?

I live in Florid and I am a Senior in High school and many people fly the Confederate flag on there trucks, cars and in some neighborhoods it is just waving for everyone to see. I'm southern and I find it racist. I talked to my redneckish friend about it and he gave me a look like I was stupid and he told me that it represented Southern Pride and Tradition of southern people and I don't understand it. In school I learn it's racist, from family I hear it's racist and everyone says it's Tradition and Lifestyle. I don't get this. I know that the flag is protected by the Second Amendment but why do people fly this flag?

• Favorite Answer

Chris, Thank you for your question.

Neither your family, I'm sorry to say, nor your school seems to be a reliable source of accurate information. Your "redneckish" friend seems to have the right idea (not about stupidity, but about Southern Pride and Tradition).

First of all, there is more than one "Confederate" flag!

The CSA's First National was the "Stars and Bars" which looked like a Betsy Ross flag from the Revolution with 7 or more stars in a circle, one for each state (Florida was No. 3) when the CSA was formed early in 1861. It had "bars" of red-white-red, instead of 13 "stripes".

At the same time, folks who were pro-independence generally used the "Bonnie Blue" flag- a blue field with a single white "Lone Star" , to show their point of view. This flag is immortalized in the well-known song, "The Bonnie Blue Flag".

During battles, the generals realized that the Stars & Bars was being confused with the Stars & Stripes (when in fog, smoke, or no wind), and friendly-fire incidents kept occurring. A competition resulted in the "Soldier's Flag",or "Southern Cross" or "Confederate Battle Flag" (CBF) It was based on the Scottish Saltire (a white x-shaped cross on a blue field). It has two major versions: the square one for the Army of Northern Virginia, and the rectangle for the Army of Tennessee and the Confederate Navy Jack.

As the War dragged on the Confederate Congress adopted the CSA's 2nd National flag, which was the CBF in the canton on a field of white. This was also called the Stainless Banner from its white field, and was first used to drape the coffin of Gen. Stonewall Jackson at his funeral in 1863 (therefore it is also sometimes called Jackson's Flag).

Finally, a flaw in the 2nd National was recognized in that it sometimes appeared to be a flag of truce or surrender, so in 1865, a large red stripe was added to the fly end, and was then called the CSA's Third National flag. It is sometimes called the Bloodied Banner since it was the last flag before military defeat.

The flag(s) flown at Confederate Memorial Park near the intersection of I-75 and I-4 near Tampa are the Soldier's and 3rd National. They are claimed to be the largest flying Confederate flags in the world.

The Tampa site was built by the FL Division, Sons of Confederate Veterans. The SCV is trying to rehabilitate these flags, especially the CBF, from the misuse of Confederophobes, and return them to their previous roles as frequent, familiar, and respected features of the civic landscape in the mainstream of society. In this way, the CBF will no longer be the bogeyman of the extremists of the KKK and NAACP, who use the flag for their own cynical self-serving purposes. The SCV is trying to fight the prejudice and propaganda surrounding Confederate flags by raising public consciousnes, and soliciting questions such as yours, so that better understanding may result. When the CBF flag is in a prominent but neutral context, then thoughtful consideration can be given and reasonable debate can be produced without temper.

I hope this history lesson helps out. You can confirm it all in history books - not necessarily the party-line ones used in schools. I'm sorry, but sometimes even family information and point of view may often be based on unreliable sources.

If you have a Confederate ancestor who served honorably, he could be Black or White, Hispanic, or native American, even Jewish (see (Judah P. Benjamin), and then you have a genetic imperative to properly assess his patriotic service to his state and defense of his family against the illegal, unconstitutional, aggressive war, invasion and blockade. And "his" flag would have been the Soldier's Flag. If you are interested in your own genealogy, the SCV would be happy to help you find Confederate ancestors; and if you find one (or just want to be a associate or "legionnaire"), you'd be welcome s a member. Google "SCV National". This goes for your "redneckish" friend, too.

But, you do not give any family background to suggest the origin of the point of view your family members -and even they may disagree amongst themselves. As I say, the KKK and the NAACP are not reliable - so don't trust either at face value. Did you know that the NAACP adopted a national resolution in 1991 calling Confederate symbols "an odious blight on the universe"? Odious means hateful. Therefore the NAACP is preaching hate speech, and no wonder they get people bamboozled and worked up. Do not succumb to this "Big Lie". This is not right, or fair, or logical. Research and think for yourself.

God bless you Chris, and God bless Dixie.

• ?

Give me a break, Bearkat. I'm a Texan too, and if you want to look at the six flags over Texas, go to the theme park. Texas is no longer under any of those flags other than the American flag. We are part of America. The Confederate flag is a symbol of treason, so flying it is supporting treason. The Confederacy killed more Americans than Al Qaida. Think about it.

I am from the south. It isn't a racist thing. Your friend is right. It's a southern pride thing. I don't have a flag because of people like you. I don't want anyone to think I am racist. However, I see nothing wrong with it. People fly their favorite football team. Why not be proud of the area that you live?

People have the right to be racist in this country to a point. This is the pride and heritage of what the Confederate flag represents; the southern states not wanting to give up their way of life. This is what it represents and to deny that history, one has to be blinded by ignorance or has not the guts to admit their racist prejudices. THINK. Why do racist societies such as the KKK wave it so proudly.

Your redneckish friend is right.

The Southern States seceded from the Union and formed their own country to preserve their way of life. Yes, that included slavery. But it also included a lot more, including State's Rights and the right to determine your own way.

If the South had somehow won the Civil War, it would have been called the 2nd American Revolution, and they would feel about the Confederacy just as we do about the USA today.

• tom

It's one of those things. What does something mean to people?

To some it means racist. To others it means pride etc etc.

The thing is that people need to decide how they want to be perceived. Do you do something that some people might find offensive? How many black people fly the flag as southern pride? Probably not many.

Its racist. If i walked around with a german flag from the holocaust era around the so called jews it would be racist. Same thing. represents slavery. but the people flying it are cowards and wont admit it. its ok Hell burns them the same,

From many points of view it can represent racism. It represents the confederacy . It also from many points of view does represent pride and heritage . There's a place in florida I think it's on the I75 that has a HUGE confederate flag , idk who or what is flying it but they have a constitutional right to do so.

Ok I'm rambling ( bad habit of mine)

You find it "racist" because you have a racist mindset. And the Second Amendment has NOTHING to do with this.

You really need to educate yourself. Seriously.

yes, it might be