Tracey L asked in Beauty & StyleMakeup · 7 years ago

How Often Should You Clean Your Makeup Brushes?

Here is a list of my brushes and what I use them for:

1) Real Techniques Expert Face Brush for powder

2)Real Techniques Kabuki Brush for blush

3)Real Techniques Starter Set(base shadow brush, deluxe crease brush, accent brush, pixel-point eyeliner brush, and brow brush).-lid,crease, definition or lower lash line, liner, and brows.

4)Sigma Pencil E30 brush-definition or lower lash line.

I use the Face Secrets Professional Makeup Brush Cleaner from Sally's Beauty Supply and I have brush guards.

I have combination/normal skin(oily T-Zone and normal cheeks), and I've suffered from acne in the past. I am 14!

Any methods you think I should use? Please be detailed and give any tips/tricks. It's much-appreciated! Thank you so much!! (:

Favorite Answer

I worked at Sephora for many years and this is the method we used to wash our brushes.

1)Turn on the tap and dampen the brush. You MUST hold the brush with the hairs pointing downwards the entire time you are washing them. DO NOT put water directly over the brush hairs. This ruins the brush.

2)Put some gentle shampoo (baby shampoo, or whatever you have) in the palm of your hand and swirl the brush in it until you think it is clean.

3)Rinse the brush THOROUGHLY under the water, swirling it in your palm. Remember to keep the top of the brush facing downwards at all times. It doesn't have to be completely upside down, you just want to be sure water does not get into the ferrule.

4)Leave to dry overnight.

This is called a deep clean and it should be done once a month. For daily or weekly cleaning, you can use your brush cleaner from sally's. Put some onto a clean tissue and swirl your brushes into it. There is no need to rinse.

Source(s): Former MUA @ Sephora

To keep from clogging pores, and keeping acne away, wash your brushes at least once every few weeks. Put some dishwashing soap & extra virgin olive oil on your hands, rub brushes on your hand to clean, then rinse with lukewarm water. Get a glass, and put the brushes bristle sidedown to prevent your brush from breaking. This drys them. (:

once a week..and a cheap alternative which i find better is to use an antibacterial dish soap like dawns antibacterial dish soap. It will get rid of the pigmentation the oils and build up ect and the antibacterial bit will kill bacteria on the brush!!. it will dry the brush out so recondition with olive oil :) plus olive oil is good for your skin! :)

hope this helps....

Source(s): meeee

I clean them once a month and use purity philosophy to clean them