Jefferson Airplane vs. Jefferson Starship vs. Starship?

which one do you prefer and what is your favorite song by them?

Favorite Answer

Jefferson Airplane was visionary and important. They added to rock's DNA. They were literate, improvisational, confrontational, capable of great beauty, challenging, funny, and intelligent. They had four good songwriters who were at the top of their game. They had an instrumental axis that was so good, it spun off into a band of its own. They are one of the few 60's bands I have never grown tired of.

Jefferson Starship was crass, calculated, dull, by-the-numbers, and weakened by constant lineup changes. The songwriting suffered, and more and more songwriting was done by outsiders. They lacked a mission or a point of view. They couldn't decide if they were a hard rock group or a soft rock group, and made fools of themselves trying to pander to MTV when it was invented.

Starship was a horror, and had little do do with the Airplane (it contained no original Airplane members, and even Slick bailed after two albums) Almost all the songwriting was from professionals outside of the band, and the playing mostly consisted of strident synth and Craig Chaquico's increasingly stupid guitar. Even those who profess love for the inane "We Built This City" probably have never managed to sit through a whole album of this crap.

Jefferson Airplane: 3/5 Mile in Ten Seconds, Greasy Heart, She Has Funny Cars, Plastic Fantastic Lover, Won't You Try/Saturday Afternoon, And I Like It, Crown of Creation, Law Man, Let's Get Together, Today, Good Shepherd, Ballad of You, Me, and Pooneil, Fat Angel, My Best Friend, Blues From an Airplane, It's No Secret, The Farm, Martha

Jefferson Starship: Fast Buck Freddie, Be Young You, Hyperdrive, Song of the Sun/Ozymandias, That's For Sure, Count On Me

Starship: yuk, nothing

Oh now, that is just fallacious. Jefferson airplane were first-rate, Jefferson Starship now not. Perhaps a extra proper question would were Is the old vs. New testomony variety of like Jefferson Starship compared to Starship? Which was crappier?

• Racer

Jefferson Starship with Grace Slick

fave song Miracles

The original band, I hated Starship. She had a brilliant voice though and I guess my favorite song is White Rabbit.

• vtd288

Jefferson Airplane

"We Can Be Together"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxA3Q96a8XE

Youtube thumbnail

Jefferson Starship

"Play on Love"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YdiLaIzOSs

Youtube thumbnail

• Gary

For me it's Starship.

'We Built This City' is one of my fave 80's track's.

I know a lot of people hate it, but if I hear it on the radio it always brings a smile to my face and I can't help but sing along.

Airplane - they were still eager and playing for fun.

Have a look at the rarely seen clips in http://www.squidoo.com/ten-joni-mitchell-albums#mo... Straight after Woodstock where they were awesome.