Is Bed-stuy a safe neighborhood?

I'm moving to NYC in two months and I am looking for an apartment, I saw a lovely one online for a good price in Bed-stuy, I've heard very different opinions on the area, some say it's dangerous, while some say it's safe. The apartment is located on Lafayette and Lewis avenue (stating this because... show more I'm moving to NYC in two months and I am looking for an apartment, I saw a lovely one online for a good price in Bed-stuy, I've heard very different opinions on the area, some say it's dangerous, while some say it's safe. The apartment is located on Lafayette and Lewis avenue (stating this because I've also heard that some areas are safe while other are not)
I'm an 18 year old white petite girl so safety should come first when moving somewhere. Any help is appreciated, thank you!
Update: MoneyMen - No need to be rude, I am asking because I want to know, simple as that. I have never lived in NYC, only visited there and I stayed in Manhattan during my stay. Thanks for the advice though, but do try to be more friendly :)