Does wiping out your computer delete all viruses?

I have this virus in my computer and I know because every time I turn on my computer this random icon keeps popping up! It's called whitetrader.com but it keeps coming back. And can I go to the store and ask them to wipe it out for me? Thanks.

1

Source(s): #1 Malware Security Suite - http://malwaresecurity.siopu.com/?CKZz

2

Source(s): Perfect Antivirus Protection Suite : http://moveantivirus.com/?ZoHG
  • Chip

Theoretically a BIOS-level virus could stay after a drive wipe, but such a virus has never been seen outside of a lab environment. On a practical level yes, wiping your hard drive will delete any and all viruses you have.

Before you take it to the store though a couple things to keep in mind:

1. Wiping your computer deletes EVERYTHING - including your personal files AND any programs you installed yourself. If you have anything on your computer that's important to you make sure you make a copy before wiping!

2. Wiping a computer is actually something you can do for free. Just do a google search for your computer model + "factory restore" (for example, "Dell Lattitude E6400 factory restore") and you will have plenty of very easy step-by-step instructions on how to wipe the machine yourself. Most stores (especially Best Buy/Geek Squad!) charge a rediculous price for wiping a computer.

Yes, if you wipe your hard drive clean and reinstall Windows from scratch, the virus will be gone. Be sure to save everything you want to save first!

My feeling is that every Windows user should know how to reinstall Windows. Besides viruses, Windows grows corrupt over time, the computer runs slower and makes more mistakes. This is just the nature of Windows. Bill Gates didn't want you to use one version of Windows more than two years anyway. So a a fresh re-install after a year or two will speed up a computer incredibly, even if there are no viruses. If you regularly download stuff, you'd do it more often, like every six months!

Wiping A Computer

As I understand from talking to a customer associate at a computer store, it depends on where the virus is coming from. If you got it from the internet while using a jump drive on another computer and transferred that drive to your home computer, then you might not eliminate it.

Hope you find the source of your virus!

Not always. Often a restore or re-install will leave dormant files hidden on the drive waiting to re-activate. Always use the proper tool for the job. First you must NEVER run a machine without a good fully updated active anti-spyware/virus. If you suspect you are infected download the free scanner from http://malwarebytes.org/ and run the full scan.

You can remove the virus by scanning with some antivirus. If the antivirus doesnt work then you can format your computer completely and then reinstall the operating system. But dont forget to create the backup of all the data before formating the computer.. :)

Not , unless is full dephragmentation when everything including ur operative systems are deleted . Anti virus software have high chance of probability of being able to deal with ur virus

it does get rid of the viruses but then you will have to reformat your computer. i had the same problem except i had keyloggers, viruse, ect. it look like i had everything i did restored point and it looks like that did the trick because, i ran my antivirus and no keyloggers, viruses ect were discovered and my computer. and it isn't running slow anymore. i have a windows vista.