Would this make a great novel (the title of what I am writing is Red Roses)?

The plot is as follows:

Michael Smith is a kind-hearted young businessman with a dark side, he is a psychopathic serial killer who preys on, sleeps with and kills young women and buries them in their undergarments in the yard of his estate in New York and has a red rose planted above each of their graves. One day, while in Manhattan, he meets a beautiful, young fashion store clerk named Annie Veal and both fall in love with each other and get married. Annie's life with Michael is a dream come true but when she finds out about Michael's secrets, her life suddenly becomes a living hell of despair. She then escapes but Michael soon starts chasing after her. Can she survive his psychotic carnage or will she end up dead and buried in the ground with a red rose above her grave

I'm basing the novel off of a obscure (in the U.S., at least) Tamil-language Indian horror film from Sigappu Rojakkal (1978) starring Kamal Haasan and Sridevi, which was remade four times, first in Japanese (Japan) as Red Roses (1979), in Hindi (India) as Red Rose (1980), in Russian (Soviet Union) as Krasnyye Rozy (1980) and in Telugu (India) as Erra Gulabilu (1979), all are just as obscure as Sigappu Rojakkal, if not more obscure. Anyways, if this would make a great novel, let me know.

Thanks,

J.M.

Sigappu Rojakkal, and its remakes, are in the public domain, as with other Indian films made before the late 90s, Diane. Most Indian films made before the late 90s didn't have copyright notices at either the beginning or end. Besides, any work made without a valid copyright automatically falls into the public domain, and copyright enforcement is lax in India.

Favorite Answer

First, your knowledge about copyright laws is TOTALLY wrong. Indian films before 1990s are NOT in public domain. Any creative work is automatically copyrighted the moment it is created. There is NO NEED to display copyright notice or get it registered with the copyright office.

People usually register with the copyright office because if the work falls under litigations, then the date of filing of copyright serves as a proof of date of creation. Other than that, copyright office acts as a archive for creative work. But all an artist needs to prove is the date of creation. There are other methods too. eg, the film you're mentioning would be registered with the Censor Board of India. So that is sufficient proof of copyright. Sometimes people post their creations to themselves in a sealed envelope. The post mark on the envelope also acts as a copyright proof.

So, don't think that the work is not copyrighted. Although it is highly unlikely that you would be sued. As your plot is quite different (I have seen the movie). I don't think you need to worry about copyright issues. Most stories/novels/films etc derive from previously existing works. As it is said that there are only 7 basic plots and every story is built upon those.

Now, whether it would make a great novel, cannot be judged by the plot. A bad novel and a great novel can be written with exactly the same basic plot. So it would depend on your ability to develop characters, maintain the feeling of mystery, witty dialogues, pacing etc.

So don't worry and go ahead. To be frank the plot sounds really interesting and I personally would read a book if the plot described by you is given as synopsis. All the best!

Source(s): My cousin works for copyright office in India.

No it would not. Furthermore, when you say it is “based on” an oft-remade horror film, I suspect you mean “stolen from” an oft-remade horror film, right down to the title. You are not allowed to steal other people’s work and the obscurity of the work in the US does not confer that right upon you.

ETA: Well, steal away then, my friend.

for people who like that kind of book yes