Any Medical Assistants, LPN's or RN's out there that can give advice?

I'm 21 and have two years of College under my belt, I've been going to Kent State University for Nursing. (RN) I'm having second thoughts about the RN thing though. I know it's a great thing to get into; I'll never have trouble finding a job, and I'll be paid well. I know.

But here are my personal thoughts on it, I feel as though RN's push papers more than they are actually hands on with patients... That is the exact opposite of what I want to be doing. I would rather wipe butts as an STNA for 9 dollars an hour rather than push papers as an RN for 50 dollars an hour. That's just where my heart is at. I'm not in it for the money necessarily, but I DO however want to make wise decisions for my future family later down the road. So 9 dollars an hour isn't quite cutting it, however 50 isn't quite necessary, ESPECIALLY if my heart isn't in it!

That's why I'm thinking something in-between, I would be happy with 15-20 dollars an hour; which is why I'm thinking Medical Assisting? (Possibly through Ross Medical Center?)

Just wondering if anyone has experience with Medical Assisting, and would recommend it? It is worth paying 16K for a certificate through a highly accredited school? Or would a certificate from a Career Center for half the price be just as good??

OR could you recommend something OTHER than Medical Assisting that might better suit me??

(Another fun fact of where my heart is --I LOVE OLD PEOPLE!! So something in geriatrics would be greattt for me! Any ideas for me and my confused self?)

• ariel
    Favorite Answer

Honestly I don't know why you think that medical assistants are more hands on than nurses. Most medical assistants tend to work in doctor's OFFICES, do you really want to work in an office? Medical assistants answer phone calls, schedule appointments, keep the office organized, take patient history and information, maybe process their insurance. Medically they can give shots, medication, prepare pts for exams, draw blood, take vital signs. Medical assistants will NEVER be responsible for taking care of a critically ill patient.

Nurses do so much more than medical assistants and you will have so many options. Geriatric nurses will be very much in demand. In my opinion, nurses are hands on but if you want to get even MORE hands on and personal, you can always work in home health. With home health, you will be taking care of a private patient in their home one-on-one and take care of all of their needs. You get to be really hands on and personal, and still enjoy the RN salary

You see, wit nursing you have options but with medical assisting you don't. Do not settle! I am an LPN and I am working on my RN. My last semester of clinicals were in a hospital shadowing RN's, and they are very much hands on. Sure they have to chart allot but they are still the ones taking care of all the patient's needs. They might have help from the CNA but there is only 1 CNA for an entire floor! so as you can see that is not much help at all.

choosing medical assisting over being a registered nurse will be the worst mistake of your life! You have the opportunity so don't waste it! many MA's CNA's and LPN's would love to go back to school to achieve an RN degree if given the opportunity.

I think your view of nursing is a bit warped. Yes, there is a lot of documentation required. And when you're new and learning the ropes, it takes longer to organize your work flow, so it does take away from your time at the bedside.

However, I find in my job that I get enough time with my patients (on most days). I'm in the room enough to do my job well, to give the patient care that they perceive as friendly and individualized by learning about their family, where the live, what they do for a living, etc. But the truth is. . . even if you have the time, a lot of patients don't really need or want you to hover over them at the bedside. In hospital settings, they need rest and not to have to entertain guests. In a nursing home, it's quite different, and an RN's role might allow for that and the residents are more appropriate for that kind of visiting.

Yes, I get frustrated sometimes with the amount of documentation and the level of detail that is necessary. Computer medical records and charting systems have streamlined that process a great deal, but it still takes some time. But I know darn well if all the nursing jobs in the world were mostly all about documentation and such little time spent caring for patients, nurses would be leaving their jobs in mass exodus. We still care for patients, and most of the time we have plenty of time to do it.

The first answer is also correct when discussing the role of Medical Assistants. They are also more of an office administrative role that occasionally takes vital signs or draws blood. That's not exactly the kind of patient care experience you're looking for either.

Source(s): RN

Talk with an adviser about it.Just remember that a LPN will probably have to do more clinic procedures involving patients. I had enrolled for a medical assistant because I wanted to do the paper work side of the medical field and still have contact with patients.I wasn't thrilled to learn I'd have to learn to draw blood.I had to drop out shortly anyways because I had kids and we couldn't afford for me to go.If it were me and the LPN took only 9months then I'd go for it.Good Luck!

Here is my advice to you from my years of experience in various fields......

First, become a CNA and do that in a nursing home while going to school. See first hand what each job title does, and what you enjoy and want to do the most. The RN will be seen as doing a ton of paperwork and overseeing employees, the LPN will be seen as sitting around a lot and just passing meds, and the CNA will be seen as giving hands on care and being overly worked to you. That part is true, but the PLPN and RN does in fact do more. However, you'll get to see how things operate and get some nursing experience under your belt.

Medical assistants do a lot of computer related and paperwork related tasks, but not a lot of hands on stuff. They are in high demand in prisons and doctors offices. Their hands on experience involves getting vitals and weight on a patient. A CNA does more hands on nursing stuff.

LPNs are in higher demand depending on your state.

A new RN will have a difficult time finding employment, but a new medical assistant will not.

Source(s): Honest truth from years of experiences :-)

All licensed nurses must also clean their patients while also doing their own job. Do you think that your CNA is always going to be available? (Hope you have a CNA.) Or will they tell you to do the work yourself, or go to your supervisor to report you? You have to be careful how you handle yourself in the workplace so that everyone will cooperate with you.

Trust me, when you get your paycheck, as a registered nurse, making, for example, USD30 an hour, you will be much happier with it.

All medical/nursing jobs deal with paperwork. You cannot get away from that. You might as well get paid nicely for it.

keep with the RN. I'm a Medical assistant and finding a job out of school is harder. And they only wont bilingual speaker, and 2 or 3 years expers