Should the Internal Revenue Service be abolished?

Wouldn't a Flat Tax or a Fair Tax be better for all concerned? It was certainly take the current power away from the government.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • DrPhil
    Lv 6
    7 years ago
    Best Answer

Absolutely.

I like the idea of a Flat Tax, but the problem is that there is still a remnant version of the IRS to collect those taxes. Smaller, less powerful, but still there.

A better idea is a Fair Tax. Essentially, it's a national Sales Tax that draws revenue through the purchase of goods and services, rather than from income.

With that, all tax services are rendered unnecessary, and a massive amount of government power is transferred back to where it belongs: The Citizenry.

@McNamara - "Statist"? A fellow Levin listener?

• 7 years ago

Yes. Due in large part to its simplicity, a FairTax in replacement of the income tax system would constitute the greatest peaceful transfer of power from the government to the people in human history. Politicians and bureaucrats would no longer be able to add hidden taxes or special interest loopholes, and there would be no excuse for the government to require the financial records of everyone in the US.

This is why, naturally, statists furiously oppose and slander it.

• If all taxes were collected as sales taxes there would be no opportunity for government corruption in the collection. The government loves to use the tax code to manipulate everyone.

I'm for repealing the 16th amendment and abolishing the IRS.

• 7 years ago

Yes. Assume you have seen this today? Senator Ted Cruz, Texas

“I think we ought to abolish the IRS and instead move to a simple flat tax where the average American can fill out taxes on a postcard,” he explained in a Fox News interview over the weekend. “Put down how much you earn, put down a deduction for charitable contributions, home mortgage and how much you owe. It ought to be a simple one-page postcard, and take the agents, the bureaucracy out of Washington and limit the power of government.”

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Yes it should but you point out why it will never happen, because "It was certainly take the current power away from the government".

• 7 years ago

I don't think it would work if they did and so it would be bad for the economy. I wish it could be though.

• 7 years ago

NO

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.